Chess: KCB open 12-point gap after big wins in Kisumu
KCB Chess Club stretched their lead at the helm of the 2019 Kenya Premier Chess League to 48 points after winning all their three league matches played at Scottish Tartan Hotel in Kisumu over the weekend.
The victories saw the bankers extend their unbeaten run in the league to 16 matches and opening a gap of 12 points between them and second placed Deadly Bishops who have two games in hand.
Led by Fide Master Harold Wanyama, the 2018 runners up saw off their opponents without their star captain Ben Magana, defeating both hosts Victoria Chess Club and Jomo Kenyatta University of Science and Technology (JKUAT) 5-0 and Nakuru Chess Club 4.5- 0.5.
Wanyama said the team is at its best and aiming for the title.
“We are playing well and congrats to the team, which is doing well even without our captain Magana. We have a plan of dethroning current holders Equity and with the gap between us I think it is possible,” said the Ugandan import.
Defending champions Equity Chess Club remained third with 31 points, 17 points behind leaders KCB despite not being in action in the Kisumu leg.
Newbies Victoria Chess Club were on the receiving end despite hosting the league after losing three matches and drawing one.
They lost 5-0 to both KCB and Bank of Africa.
The lake side also lost 4-1 to JKUAT and battled to a draw against Technical University of Kenya (TUK), a result that saw them drop to 15th in the log with 14 points after 12 matches.
Other matches saw Nakuru Chess Club lose 1.5-3.5 against TUK and Bank of Africa draw 2.5-2.5 against TUK.
The league resumes on July 20 in Nairobi at Nairobi Gymkhana where KCB will face last year’s champions Equity Chess Club and the runners up Deadly Bishops.
League Secretary Anthony Kionga thanked Scottish Tartan Hotel for sponsoring the event.
- Harambee Stars hint match against Senegal is their last at AFCONFootball 2 weeks ago
- IDPA Expert shooter Onyango set for MagTech Cup in HungarySports 2 weeks ago
- Meet Arsenal’s new striker – who had several trials at Man United Football 1 week ago
- Mane says he will step down as Senegal penalty-taker for nowFootball 1 week ago
- Lukaku’s mother star-struck at Old Trafford after meeting Lionel Messi [photos]Football 3 months ago
- Reason why Man Utd's transfer for Bruno Fernandes has been delayedFootball 6 days ago
- Neymar out of Copa America 2019 with ankle ligament injuryFootball 1 month ago