Wanyama sends tough warning to opponents hours to AFCON kickoff
Harambee stars captain Victor Wanyama has fired a stern warning to Kenya’s opponents at the Africa Cup of Nations against looking down upon them as they prepare for the first appearance in 15 years.
The tournament is set to kick off on Friday, June 21 in Egypt with the host nation opening against Zimbabwe.
Many fans consider Kenya as one of the tournament’s underdogs but the Tottenham Hotspur midfield powerhouse thinks otherwise.
The Champions League Finalist has come out to issue a warning to Stars’ opponents in the group and the tournament at large to be ready for a bruising encounter.
Kenya will wait until Sunday 23rd to grace the turf in their first big event since 2004 against the Desert Foxes of Algeria before clashing with neighbours Tanzania in an East African affair then close the round of group matches with a nervy meeting with West African powerhouse Senegal.
Despite the hard fixtures against Algeria and Senegal, the former Celtic and Southampton man is confident of steering his ship to the round of 16 waters.
“We are viewed as underdogs but football has changed and teams have proved that before. We respect our opponents a lot but it will not be easy for them at all. It’s a motivation for us to be in the finals for the first time and we are looking to give a good account of ourselves. It’s an opportunity for us to learn more from the finals,” Said captain Wanyama.
As the tournament kicks off, many Kenyans will be hoping that the big captain’s confident sentiments reflect the team’s morale in Egypt.
- Spurs retire French NBA star Parker's number in ceremonyBasketball 2 days ago
- Big boost for Man United as Pogba shares picture of ankle cast removed [Photos]Football 2 days ago
- KVF gets Sh1m from KCB ahead of play-offsVolleyball and Handball 2 days ago
- Netherlands forward Depay an injury doubt for key Euro matchFootball 2 days ago
- LEAKED: Chelsea players to part with Sh2.6 million if they miss trainingFootball 2 days ago
- Arsenal decide Unai Emery’s fateFootball 2 days ago
- Age is just a number! Footballers in happy relationships with way older girlfriends [PHOTOS]Football 2 days ago