Manchester United identify Paul Pogba replacement as they prepare for his exit
Manchester United are putting contingency plans in place for the possibility that Paul Pogba is sold this summer.
The Frenchman could leave Old Trafford in the coming months, with former club Juventus and Spanish giants Real Madrid both interested in his services.
That has forced the Red Devils to look for potential replacements, with the Sun reporting that club chiefs have identified Belgian midfielder Youri Tielemans as a viable option.
Tielemans has impressed on loan at Leicester from Monaco this season, and has attracted interest from a number of clubs.
Monaco are said to be willing to sell Tielemans for £40m with United boss Ole Gunnar Solskjaer keen to get a deal over the line.
Belgian journalist Kristof Terreur reported that United have been in talks with the Ligue 1 club over a move for the 22-year-old.
They will face competition from Leicester for his signature though, with Foxes manager Brendan Rodgers hopeful of taking Tielemans back to the King Power on a permanent deal.
United believe they can out-muscle Leicester in the race for Tieleman's, but much of their plans will depend on whether Pogba stays at the club or not.
The 26-year-old midfielder reportedly has his heart set on a move to Real Madrid this summer.
Madrid boss Zinedine Zidane has made no secret of his admiration for French compatriot Pogba, as he looks to continue a summer overhaul at the Bernabeu.
And while United are not willing to lose him, Marca report that Zidane and Pogba are determined to make the transfer happen.
Solskjaer would demand no less than £105 million for Pogba - who cost the club a then-record £89 million transfer fee when he signed for United back in 2016.
Pogba's sale would give the green light for Solskjaer to launch a bid for Tielemans, and leave further funds remaining for other targets such as Crystal Palace defender Aaron Wan-Bissaka.
- Arsenal highly unlikely to sign Wilfried Zaha as transfer saga turns uglyFootball 2 weeks ago
- Barcelona superstar 'says yes' to PSG transfer - paving way for Neymar returnFootball 2 weeks ago
- Man United First training: New boy Daniel James in action [Photos]Football 2 weeks ago
- Griezmann shocks football world, delivers on threat Football 1 week ago
- Good news for Man United as club ‘agrees terms’ with Portuguese powerhouseGossip & Rumours 2 weeks ago
- Harambee Stars goalkeeper joins Tanzania’s Yanga FCFootball 2 weeks ago
- Nemanja Vidic lined up for shock Man United returnFootball 2 weeks ago