Mpeketoni handed two-year ban for fielding ineligible players
Age fraud hit Lamu County games after Mpeketoni Secondary School were handed a two-year ban for fielding over-age players.
Lamu County Secondary Schools Association Secretary Kennedy Keah said Mpeketoni fielded ineligible players in boys’ under-16 football.
Keah added that Witu Mjini Secondary School were also disqualified from the games for abandoning their match against Mpeketoni.
“Witu Mjini Secondary School refused to play against Mpeketoni after they claimed the latter had fielded ineligible players. After investigation, it was realised that Mpeketoni had over-age players in the match, but it was unacceptable for Witu Mjini to refuse to continue playing and decided to walkout out of the field,” said Keah.
Keah said Lamu Boys, who had drawn 1-1 with Witu Mjini in the opening match, were given an automatic ticket to represent the county at the Coast Region games in Malindi High School from June 26-29.
Last year, Kenya Secondary Schools Sports Association Secretary General David Ngugi warned schools and teachers against fielding over-age players.
Ngugi said it was against rules and regulation of the association.
In boys’ U19, Lake Kenyatta beat Kizingitini 2-0 in the final as Majembeni hit Witu Mjini 1-0 to win in girls’ contest.
In netball, Kiongwe beat Uziwa 31-17 in the final, while in boys’ volleyball, Lake Kenyatta defeated Mpeketoni 3-0 and Hindi School stopped Kiongwe 3-0 to win girls’ title.
All six counties that form Coast Region picked their teams at the weekend ready for the regional games.
In Taita Taveta, Mwatate Secondary and Kajire won girls’ U19 and U16 titles respectively.
In boys’ U19, St Mary’s Lushangonyi were winners, while Canon Kituri lifted the U16 trophy.
Bura Girls were crowned netball champions. Mwangeka players dominated the girls’ lawn tennis with Voi secondary taking the lion’s share in the boys’ contest.
- Bolt set to become father after announcing girlfriend is expectingSports 22 minutes ago
- Manchester United target Bale set to stay at MadridFootball 2 days ago
- Latest transfer update on Tottenham midfielder Victor WanyamaFootball 1 day ago
- Is this Bidco United’s yearSports 11 hours ago
- Man Utd must sack Woodward for transfer market shortcomings - NevilleFootball 2 days ago
- Klopp rules out Liverpool sales in transfer windowPremier League 23 hours ago
- Five Harambee Starlets players making headlines in Europe [PHOTOS] Football 2 days ago