Meet Kenyan referee Cheruiyot who can’t wait for AFCON showdown
Kenyans are eagerly waiting for the African Cup of Nations (AFCON) in Egypt whose official date of commencement will be 21st June 2019. While some Kenyans will be able to travel all the way to Egypt to support their national team, Harambee Stars, many others will be glued to their TV stations to watch their favourite teams play.
Kenya’s first match with Algeria is scheduled on 23rd June.
However, other than Harambee Stars and other favourite teams, there will be another centre of attention for Kenyans at the AFCON tournament: A Nakuru-based FIFA assistant referee Gilbert Cheruiyot who will officiate matches at the Afcon Tournament.
Gilbert Cheruiyot was included among the 30 assistant referees for the upcoming AFCON showdown. This is according to the statement by the African Cup of Nations Official Twitter handle.
26 Referees and 30 Assistant Referees make up the list #TotalAFCON2019. The officials are:
Gilbert K Cheruiyot is number 15 on the Assistant referee list.
When contacted by the Standard on how he feels about this selection, Cheruiyot said that he was more than happy for the job and that he will represent Kenya in his best capability.
“I think this is a big honour for me and Kenya. I will not disappoint at this level. I am set to show the world that Kenya can as well produce top-notch referees apart from athletics.
“My focus is to officiate at the World-cup level, a goal which I believe is possible for me after hard work,” he told the Standard.
This will be Cheruiyot’s second-biggest assignment after taking part in the 2016 Africa Nations Championships (CHAN) in Rwanda as a referee.
Last year October 25, 2018, Cheruiyot was named as the most improved assistant referee by SportPesa Premier League (SPL).
- Kenya's Morans keep attackers at bayBasketball 2 days ago
- Kenyan midfield star Teddy Akumu signs for Kaizer ChiefsFootball 2 days ago
- Snow melts fans’ hearts with Safari Tour victoryGolf 2 days ago
- Injera sprints back into Sevens team Rugby 2 days ago
- Prince Harry reemerges for Rugby League World Cup drawRugby 2 days ago
- Why children could be banned from heading the ball in ScotlandFootball 2 days ago
- Bruno Fernandes plans confirmed by Sporting Lisbon coach Premier League 1 day ago