Revealed: What Cristiano Ronaldo said to Man Utd transfer target Matthijs de Ligt
Matthijs de Ligt spoke to Cristiano Ronaldo following Holland's defeat by Portugal in the Nations League final on Sunday.
And according to the 19-year-old centre-back, the Juventus forward was giving the highly-rated youngster some transfer advice.
De Ligt is being monitored by every big club in Europe with Manchester United, Liverpool, Barcelona and Paris Saint-Germain among the favourites for his signature.
Juventus have also been linked with the defender, and it seems Ronaldo is doing his utmost to put his side in the driving seat this summer.
Speaking to Dutch publication NOS, De Ligt confirmed that Ronaldo had instructed him to join Juventus during their brief chat.
"That could well be true," said De Ligt. "What I answered? I didn't understand him at first. So I said… no, I didn't say anything."
The Dutchman added: "I was a bit shocked, that's why I laughed. But I didn't say anything. Just after the game you just feel bad that you've lost, that’s all you're thinking about."
De Ligt appears certain to leave Ajax this summer but is still unsure of his destination.
"I will go on vacation now," the 19-year-old told TV Univision.
"I am going to think about what's best for me and then I will decide. I think it's important for a young player to play, that's the only thing I know."
De Ligt has been most regularly linked with a move to Barcelona, who his former Ajax team-mate Frenkie de Jong has signed for.
De Jong admits he'd like for De Ligt to join him in Spain, but wouldn't want to influence his decision at the same time.
"He has to make his own decisions," said De Jong. "Of course I would like him to come to Barcelona but we will see what happens. It's up to him.
"I don't know, it's his decision. You have to ask him about it but I hope he comes to Barca. Of course we talk about it [De Ligt signing for Barcelona].
"It's not up to me to say what he's going to do or his thoughts. I don't have an influence on his choice. He has to make it on his own and with his family."
- New 7s team coach Feeney promises to turn around Shujaa fortunes Rugby 15 hours ago
- SportPesa: We’re waiting for betting board nod to resume full operationFootball 1 day ago
- Deaflympics: Kenya team continue good performancesAthletics 2 days ago
- Wambui and Kageha out of Kenya team to world meetAthletics 17 hours ago
- Rugby World Cup kicks off with outstanding opening ceremony [Photos]Rugby 1 day ago
- Teenager Saka scores as Arsenal win at Frankfurt in Europa LeagueFootball 1 day ago
- UON Dynamites square it out with FlamesBasketball 17 hours ago