Neymar out of Copa America 2019 with ankle ligament injury
Neymar is out of Copa America 2019 with an ankle ligament injury.
The Brazil superstar suffered the injury in the warm-up match with Qatar and was reduced to tears as he made his way off the pitch.
Neymar appeared to twist his ankle in the 17th minute and was carried to the dressing room with his ankle wrapped in ice.
Brazil boss Tite suggested the injury was not a serious one but Neymar was pictured leaving the stadium wearing a protective boot.
But Brazil's worst fears have been confirmed ahead of the tournament with Neymar tearing ligaments in his ankle.
Brazil won the warm-up match against Qatar 2-0 thanks to goals from Richarlison and Gabriel Jesus
Neymar has had a nightmare season with injuries, having been out of action for three months with a foot problem before returning at the end of the campaign.
He was also ruled out of the latter stages of the World Cup in 2014 and injuries have now hampered his involvement in another competition.
The injury comes amid more speculation about his club future with Barcelona working on his return to the Nou Camp.
The Brazilian left Barca for PSG in 2017 but he is keen to return after growing frustrated with life in Paris.
But the French champions have no plans to let him go and will fend off any interest in the world's most expensive player.
Brazil will now look to draft in a replacement for Neymar, who lost his captaincy to Dani Alves ahead of the tournament.
Brazil get their campaign underway against Bolivia on Saturday, June 15 and also face Venezuela and Peru in the group stages.
- Deontay Wilder v Tyson Fury – 22Bet ReviewSports 2 days ago
- China to play home leg of Olympic qualifier in Sydney due to coronavirusFootball 2 days ago
- Wilder, Fury bulk up for heavyweight showdownBoxing 1 day ago
- Ronaldo marks 1,000th game with record-equalling goalFootball 14 hours ago
- Allegri puts Man United on red alert with plan to return to dugout in SeptemberPremier League 1 day ago
- Kobe Bryant mourners visit wrong gravesite as mystery surrounds final resting placeBasketball 1 day ago
- FIA says Safari Rally will add adventure to World ChampionshipSports 2 days ago