Gor Mahia coach Hassan Oktay crowned April’s best tactician
Gor Mahia coach Hassan Oktay has been named April Fidelity Insurance Coach of the Month Award winner.
It is Oktay’s second gong in three months after he was first feted in February.
The Turk guided K’Ogalo to bagging five wins, two draws and one walk-over which came after Mount Kenya FC failed to honour their fixture.
“This feels like a fair reward for a difficult job. I’m happy for what my team accomplished,” a jubilant Oktay said.
“We have dropped points against teams sitting lower on the table but for the big games, (big teams), there was no competition. We prepared for big games but when our opponents turned up, they did not give us much opposition,” he said.
Gor Mahia launched the month with a 2-1 win over Nzoia Sugar in Kisumu on April 1 before beating Sony Sugar 3-2 two days later.
A 1-1 draw against Kakamega Homeboyz was followed by a similar scoreline when they took on Ulinzi Stars.
K’Ogalo then squeezed one past Bandari before they were awarded a walkover against already relegated Mount Kenya United.
They followed up with a 2-0 win over Tusker before wrapping the month with a 2-1 win over Ulinzi Stars.
Oktay, who guided the champions to the quarterfinals of the CAF Confederations Cup, got 12 points in a poll by an SJAK panel to beat Nicholas Muyoti of Kakamega Homeboyz and AFC Leopards coach Andrew Cassa Mbungo to the gong.
Muyoti guided Homeboyz to four wins and three draws out of seven matches, Cassa Mbungo guided Ingwe to four wins and two draws in six matches.
Oktay is the fourth recipient of the award this season after Western Stima’s Paul Ogai, Mathare United’s Francis Kimanzi and John Baraza of Sofapaka.
- COVID-19: Sports Ministry to disburse Sh50million to athletes over two monthsFootball 2 days ago
- Mwamba RFC announce new kit partnership with Samurai [PHOTOS]Rugby 1 day ago
- Virtual athletics: Cheruiyot to take on Norwegian brothers on June 11Athletics 2 days ago
- Blackburn star, two Fulham players test positive for COVID-19Football 1 day ago
- Premier League to restart on June 17 Premier League 1 day ago
- David Luiz’s time at Arsenal coming to an end?Football 1 day ago
- Gilly Okumu keen on dribbling to increased stardomHockey 1 day ago