Sevilla set to face Simba SC in LaLiga World Challenge tie
Tanzania champions Simba SC take on five-time Uefa Europa League winners Sevilla today at the National Stadium, Dar Es Salaam.
The highly anticipated clash is part of the LaLiga World Challenge Programme aimed at spreading the Spanish top league globally.
Sevilla finished fifth in LaLiga while Simba SC beat Singida United 2-0 on Tuesday to retain the Tanzania Premier League title.
The European side is expected to field a full-strength squad led by World Cup winner with Spain, Jesus Navas, former Barcelona Centre-back Sergi Gomez and Argentina midfielder Ever Banega.
Simba SC as expected will rely on former Gor Mahia striker Meddie Kagere, whose goal against Singida on Tuesday set the tone for the clash as John Bocco bagged the second to seal the league honours.
Gomez said they have read a lot about Simba SC and believe they are a quality side.
“They just won the league yesterday. All I know is that it is difficult to win a league title. It doesn’t matter where.
“So we will approach the game with the seriousness it deserves,” Gomez said.
He added: “Our coming here in Tanzania will give Simba and other clubs the chance to learn something about the game.”
Sevilla president José Castro Carmona said the fixture is more about creating lasting relations with LaLiga fans across the world.
“We are happy to be able to transmit something different from the world’s best league to Tanzania and the rest of Africa,” said.
For Simba SC, however, it will be an opportunity to test how far they have come to be a club of repute, both on and off the pitch.
Financially, Sevilla have been ranked as the 35th best performing club in Europe having returned a 49.1 percentage growth over the past year according to Brand Finance World.
- Players' union wants matches postponed in extreme heatFootball 2 days ago
- Athletes set for Kabarak Half MarathonAthletics 2 days ago
- New 7s team coach Feeney promises to turn around Shujaa fortunes Rugby 1 day ago
- Barcelona starlet Fati granted Spanish citizenshipFootball 2 days ago
- Wambui and Kageha out of Kenya team to world meetAthletics 2 days ago
- Rugby World Cup kicks off with outstanding opening ceremony [Photos]Rugby 2 days ago
- Formula One: Kenyans set to win F1 tripSports 1 day ago