Maurizio Sarri makes shock Chelsea quit admission ahead of Europa League final
Maurizio Sarri has issued a staggering ultimatum which plunged his Chelsea future into further doubt.
Sarri angrily told the Chelsea hierarchy that if they are judging him purely on the outcome of the Europa League final then they should sack him immediately.
Chelsea boss Sarri’s bold message is likely to push him closer to the exit door with club legend Frank Lampard already in pole position to become his successor at Stamford Bridge.
Derby boss Lampard would be a hugely popular choice among Chelsea fans with time and patience running out on Sarri with the final seen as win-or-bust.
Sarri said: “No if the situation is like this, I want to go immediately. You cannot... 10 months of work, and then I have to play everything in 90 minutes? It's not right. It's not the right way. You're either happy about my work or you're not happy.”
Sarri’s long term future has been in doubt for much of the season and the Europa League final looks increasingly likely to be his last game in charge of Chelsea.
Juventus have got Sarri on their shortlist to replace Max Allegri and that could give the ex-Napoli boss a route out of Stamford Bridge if the Italian champions will pay £5m compensation. Roma are also interested in Sarri.
Sarri, who has two years left on his contract, also said he will meet with Chelsea after the final to discuss his future and the season just gone.
Sarri added: “My future is Wednesday, I think. I need to think only about the final at this moment. I have two years of contract here, so I have no contact with other clubs at the moment.
“I have to speak at my club first of all after the final. I want to know if they are happy with me or not. That is it. I have two more years of contract.”
- Rodgers sign new Leicester deal to end speculation over Arsenal jobFootball 2 days ago
- Man Utd announce tie-up deal with Alibaba GroupFootball 2 days ago
- Russia braces for four-year Olympic ban over doping scandalSports 2 days ago
- Why Kenya’s Crouch fears Algerian star BounedjahSports 2 days ago
- Sports Golf-Standard County Golf Classic lands at Limuru Course this morning Golf 2 days ago
- Pogba 'determined' to seal Man Utd exit ahead of Euro 2020Premier League 2 days ago
- Rosenberger clinches Classic Rally crownSports 2 days ago