KDF ready to defend boxing title in Mwingi leg
Champions Kenya Defence Force (KDF) will be out to prove they are no pushovers when national boxing league first leg punches off tomorrow (Thursday) in Mwingi.
The soldiers will be at Musila Gardens in Mwingi in Kitui County from tomorrow to Saturday for the league.
Mombasa combined and Kongowea boxing club are set to leave Mombasa tonight for the three-day event.
Boxing Association of Kenya (BAK) President John Kameta announced in Mombasa that the league will go on as planned.
"We are set for the first leg and we are happy that most of our members have confirmed participation. This will be the authentic first leg sanctioned by BAK," said Kameta.
"There are many side shows by few suspended members who are bitter with the growth of the sport. We are not going to be cowed by few disgruntled people and we shall move on with boxing activities without any disruption," said Kameta in connection to a splinter group that claims to be in charge of boxing and planning for election on May 28.
Kameta said firework is expected in Mwingi as KDF, Prisons and Administration Police line up their strongest boxers.
Other teams expected are Mombasa combined, Mombasa's Kongowea and Nakuru to name a few.
Former champions Kenya Police are among clubs that have boycotted tournaments organised by the association and joined hands with the splinter group.
Kameta at the same time dismissed the planned May 28 election as inconsequential.
"Those planning for the election are daydreamers as they know the constitution does not allow them to call for such election. There are procedures to be followed before the election is held" said Kameta. “BAK will not stop the election called by the few dissatisfied people because they are null and void," said the President.
Mombasa combined a team. 1, light fly - Abdallah Athuman. 2, fly- James Mwangangi and Steve Yuwilu 3, Bantam- James Mutuel. 4, light- Christopher Osicho. 5, light welter- Antony Kariuki. 6, welter Samir Anwar. 7, middle- Sunday Sinzoli. Officials-Team leader-Samson Mtoni. Team Managers Michael Okwach. Coaches-Mike Davis and Paul Mathenge.
- Bayern's Kimmich enjoys 'most beautiful goal' as title beckonsFootball 1 day ago
- Pogba told he isn't needed at Real Madrid because he's 'not humble'Football 2 days ago
- Flexibility does the trick for gifted MuliSports 2 days ago
- Huge blow for Liverpool fans as club drops pursuit of ‘Europe’s best striker’Football 2 hours ago
- FIFA temporarily suspends the president of the federation accused of rapeFootball 2 days ago
- New Man United away kit for 2020/21 season leaked [PHOTOS]Gossip & Rumours 2 days ago
- Company develops app allowing fans to cheer remotely for teams playing in empty stadiumsFootball 1 day ago