Video: Shock as boxer collapses on podium at weigh-in
The featherweight boxing clash between Ryan Garner and Jose Hernandez will not occur as planned. This is after the former collapsed on the podium following a weigh in.
The fight was supposed to be among the undercards for the WBO world super-middleweight title showdown between Billy Joe Saunders and Shefat Isufi at Stevenage's Lamex Stadium on Saturday.
No reports have been received over what happened to the 21-year-old Southampton based boxer, however, there has been a confirmation that he will not honour his fight on Saturday evening.
One of Britain's most talented prospects, Ryan Garner, collapsed at today's Saunders-Isufi weigh-in.
Hopefully he's okay. He looked dreadful on the scales. pic.twitter.com/NJu1nPwxtV — British Boxing News (@BritBoxingNews) May 17, 2019
Garner, aka ‘Piranha’ left the stage to re-hydrate before returning to face Hernandez. He appeared to sway on his way back to his team before he collapsed
The event organizers will now be forced to find other undercard fighters for Saunders’ WBO fight as Garner will not be able to take to the ring.
Saunders has endured turbulent times within which he lost his title and was hit with a Ksh 12.8 million fine for a demeaning social media post.
But the British boxer could become a two-weight world Champion if he wins on Saturday, which could open the gates for bigger fights.
- JESUS WEPT! Brazil superstar punches VAR before breaking down in tearsFootball 1 month ago
- Moussa Dembele makes Man Utd transfer decision amid Liverpool and Arsenal interestFootball 1 month ago
- Points to catch Safari Rally action today for freeSports 1 month ago
- Nemanja Vidic lined up for shock Man United returnFootball 1 month ago
- Chelsea fans react after Lampard’s appointment as managerFootball 1 month ago
- Messi fumes at Copa America Football 1 month ago
- AFCON: Ighalo seeks to burst South African bubbleFootball 1 month ago