Liverpool to lift replica if they win Premier League
If Liverpool upset the odds and pip Manchester City to the Premier League title on Sunday, the silver trophy they lift for the first time will not be the original but a replica, The Times reported on Thursday.
Liverpool trail Manchester City by a point ahead of the final day of the season, when they host Wolverhampton Wanderers while the league leaders travel to Brighton and Hove Albion knowing a win will make them champions.
Since matches on the final day of the season are played simultaneously, the Premier League will have a replica trophy on standby at Anfield in case Juergen Klopp’s side win the title.
The replica is used by the Premier League and often on display in television studios and on promotional tours. The original, which has been at City’s Etihad Stadium since they won it last year, will be shipped to Brighton for Sunday’s game.
League winner’s medals will also be made available at both stadiums and any player who has made at least five appearances this season will receive one. That is currently 21 players at City, 19 at Liverpool.
Liverpool have been English league champions 18 times but their last title came in 1990 before the Premier League was formed.
- Portugal defeat Netherlands to win first Nations LeagueFootball 1 week ago
- Mourinho gives Messi new nickname after destroying LiverpoolFootball 1 month ago
- Schwarzenegger has revealed why he was attacked with flying kick in South Africa Sports 1 month ago
- Manchester United fans receive good news about Sanchez transferFootball 1 month ago
- Real Madrid 'closing in on Hazard and Pogba' as Bale nears exitFootball 2 months ago
- AFCON: Gonzalez among six arrivals as Harambee Stars camp in France swellsFootball 2 weeks ago
- 2019 London Marathon: What is at stake for Kenyan runners?Athletics 1 month ago