How Man United are repeating Liverpool’s failures in the 1990s
John Barnes can see a lot of Liverpool's infamous collapse in modern-day Manchester United.
The Kop great watched the end of the Anfield dynasty unfold - and reckons there are a lot of similarities nearly 30 years on.
United will miss out on the Champions League next season after a poor end of the season.
They will play in the Europa League next term as Manchester City continue to push ahead of them in the Premier League.
Barnes, speaking on beIN Sport, says they need to kick their glory period into touch and quicky if they want a return to the golden days.
"I see similarities," pundit Barnes said.
"The Sir Alex days have now gone. You can't go back. You need to get away from that.
"The biggest thing about Liverpool when it started to go wrong was going back to the old days - they had to get away from that and so do United now.
"They did it under Van Gaal, Mourinho and now Ole is talking about getting back to the United under Sir Alex Ferguson.
"Liverpool needed to forget about the Bill Shankly era. They are now. This is now Jurgen Klopp's era."
He added: "United have the players, but the harmony are not right. If you get them motivated they're not bad.
"But they haven't got the right attitude or determination and that's the problem."
Meanwhile, Ole Gunnar Solskjaer has made a Europa League promise to the club's hungry youngsters.
United will blood teenage talent in the Europa League and with fans excited about the emergence of a number of their young prospects.
"Sometimes you can use Europa League as something positive," Solskjaer said.
- Wazito silence Fortune Sacco to reclaim top spotFootball 1 month ago
- Asbel Kiprop banned for doping Athletics 1 month ago
- LaLiga World Challenge: Sevilla name strong squad to face Simba SCFootball 4 weeks ago
- Slavia Prague 0-1 Chelsea: Marcos Alonso nets late winner for BluesFootball 2 months ago
- TRANSFER: Liverpool told to sell Divock Origi this summer for controversial reasonFootball 1 week ago
- Champions League: Liverpool seek new 'heroes' with Salah absent against BarcelonaFootball 1 month ago
- Anthony Joshua is 'finished' says Tyson FuryBoxing 6 days ago