Gor Mahia dent Bandari FC 1-0 to go top of the table
Gor Mahia revenged on Bandari as Jacques Tuyisenge's extra-time goal earned 17-time Kenyan champions a 1-0 victory yesterday at Moi Stadium in Kisumu to go on top of SportPesa Premier League standings.
Hassan Oktay’s men bask in 49 points just one point ahead of Sofapaka once again with three games in hand.
Speaking after the match, Oktay praised his charges for not giving up until the final whistle.
“We played well today and pressed until the first minute for the goal and I am happy we managed to collect three points in a tight match,” he said.
K'Ogalo started on a high note pressing for an early goal but it was the visitors who threatened first through a counter-attack with Yema Mwama failing to beat the goalkeeper in the fifth minute.
A minute later, Nicholas Kipkirui missed a clear chance to put Gor ahead after going unmarked in inside the box with Faruk Shikalo to beat but his header went wide.
Joash Onyango then almost gave Bandari an unexpected lead after deflecting Mwama's cross to his own goal hitting the post.
Bandari then pinned the champions into their own half with Mwama's threatening runs from the right wing and Shaban Kenga on the left wing and their efforts almost paid off when Wanridi William almost beat Odhoji with a low shot
Wellington Ochieng then found Samwel Onyango with a fine cross but his header was cleared. The second half started with Bernard Mwalala substituting Benjamin Mosha for Kenga but it was Gor Mahia who threatened to score with Samwel Onyango heading straight to the goalkeeper.
Rwandan import Jacques Tuyisenge then sent his header wide in the 56th minute before Oktay brought in Denni Oliech and Kenneth Miguna for Kipkirui and Hashima.
The former Harambee Stars striker did not disappoint minutes later and almost scored with his first touch when his low shot into the left bottom corner was pushed wide by Shikalo.
Shikalo once again stopped Kahata's right shot before stopping several K' Ogalo shots.
It was Tuyisenge who broke the visitors' defence in the last minute of extra time beating Shikalo with a fine header to the top left corner of the net.
- ‘Floyd will return soon’ says fatherBoxing 2 months ago
- Jeruto upsets Chepkoech in Diamond LeagueAthletics 2 days ago
- Six Legendary comebacks after Tottenham heroics on Wednesday nightFootball 1 month ago
- Pogba: This is why I converted to Islam despite not being raised as a MuslimFootball 5 days ago
- Liverpool boss Jurgen Klopp has spoken about reports linking him with JuventusFootball 2 weeks ago
- How sloppy Arsenal were gunned down by Zaha, McArthurFootball 1 month ago
- Kenyan team off to Ivory Coast for Africa showAthletics 2 months ago