Sports complex in honour of marathon legend Eliud Kipchoge on verge of completion
A sports complex constructed by the Nandi County government in honour of the 2018 BMW Berlin Marathon Record Holder Eliud Kipchoge is set for completion in October.
Governor Stephen Sang’s administration undertook construction of the Eliud Kipchoge Sports Complex late last year where he announced that the complex will be named after the athletic legend.
The first phase of construction including a state of the art gym facility, a conference hall, the complex’s main offices, training track, and an athletes’ lounge is in the finishing stages.
“The first phase of construction of the sports complex has cost the county sh 30 million, we project to complete the entire complex by October,” said Elly Kurgat, the sports executive.
Kurgat said the second phase of construction will cost the county about sh 70 million and will include a physiotherapy room, 100-bed capacity hostel facility, a second conference hall, a restaurant among other facilities.
“The procurement process is ongoing for the second phase of construction, bids are currently under evaluation,” added CEC Kurgat.
The Sh.100 million sports complex which is set to be completed in October this year will also have an art studio, swimming gallery among other sporting facilities.
Governor Sang revealed a grand plan to turn around the county’s sports sector by constructing new world-class training grounds and refurbishing the existing stadia.
The Nandi executive also informed that the county was in the process of changing the county’s fortunes through sports branding.
“My administration is turning into professional branding to uplift the sports sector; Nandi which prides itself as being the source of athletic champions will harness our branding strength through our athletic champions like Eliud Kipchoge, Amos Kipruto among other athletes,” said Sang.
Governor Sang revealed plans to sell the county to international sports brands with help from renowned athletes from the county.
- Ngeno shocks top guns in Doha trialsAthletics 2 days ago
- Cristiano Ronaldo breaks down in tears during TV interview after seeing late dad Football 9 hours ago
- Sharks prey on Leopards at Kasarani as Tusker host Mathare UnitedFootball 2 days ago
- World reacts to Kamworor’s new Half Marathon recordAthletics 8 hours ago
- Malkia Strikers make false start in JapanVolleyball and Handball 19 hours ago
- Hunt for playoff spots startsBasketball 2 days ago
- Kamworor smashes world half marathon record in CopenhagenAthletics 1 day ago