Kenya to face Sadio Mané, Riyad Mahrez in Afcon 2019
Harambee Stars will face Liverpool's Sadio Mané and Manchester City's Riyad Mahrez in the 2019 Afcon tournament in Cairo, Egypt.
Kenya were placed in Group C with Tanzania, Algeria and Senegal in the draw that took place in Cairo on Friday night.
The East African region was keenly following the event in the North after four of its members, Kenya, Uganda, Burundi and Tanzania all qualified for the 32nd edition of the biennial showpiece.
The tournament to be played in its new 24-team format will be held between June 21 and July 19.
While the national team Harambee Stars finished second in Group F behind four-time African champions Ghana to make a return to the continental showpiece finals after a 15 years’ hiatus, Uganda Cranes are set for their second consecutive appearance in the competition after topping Group D.
Taifa Stars and the Swallows both had to wait until the final qualifying round to secure their final tickets after they finished as runners up in their respective groups.
Tanzania upset visiting Uganda Cranes 3-0, while Burundi frustrated Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang's Gabon to a 1-1 draw in their decisive Group C encounter in Bujumbura. This will be the first AFCON final for Burundi in their history.
Kenya coach Sebastien Migne, who was in attendance, had said they will go to Egypt as worthy competitors.
"We want to prove that we deserve to be there,” Migne told Cafonline.com.
“We are here for the first time in 15 years. We are really eager to know who we are going to meet and we know it is not going to be easy. Everyone who qualified did so by merit. We have an expanded AFCON which will make it even tougher. We look forward to the draws and see we will meet and so that we finish up our plans for the preparation.”
- Photos: Mo Salah, Mane and Aubameyang all win Golden BootFootball 1 month ago
- Trump to award Tiger Woods the Presidential Medal of FreedomGolf 2 months ago
- FAKE NEWS: Ronaldo did not donate Sh150m to Palestinians in Gaza Football 2 weeks ago
- Sofapaka go top after Gor Mahia drawFootball 1 month ago
- Three things at stake in Wednesday’s massive Manchester DerbyPremier League 1 month ago
- Lethal Ribery, Robben return as Bayern get crucial victoryFootball 1 month ago
- Chelsea sign Christian Pulisic from Borussia DortmundFootball 3 weeks ago