Kenya to face Sadio ManÃ©, Riyad Mahrez in Afcon 2019
Harambee Stars will face Liverpool's Sadio Mané and Manchester City's Riyad Mahrez in the 2019 Afcon tournament in Cairo, Egypt.
Kenya were placed in Group C with Tanzania, Algeria and Senegal in the draw that took place in Cairo on Friday night.
The East African region was keenly following the event in the North after four of its members, Kenya, Uganda, Burundi and Tanzania all qualified for the 32nd edition of the biennial showpiece.
The tournament to be played in its new 24-team format will be held between June 21 and July 19.
While the national team Harambee Stars finished second in Group F behind four-time African champions Ghana to make a return to the continental showpiece finals after a 15 years’ hiatus, Uganda Cranes are set for their second consecutive appearance in the competition after topping Group D.
Taifa Stars and the Swallows both had to wait until the final qualifying round to secure their final tickets after they finished as runners up in their respective groups.
Tanzania upset visiting Uganda Cranes 3-0, while Burundi frustrated Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang's Gabon to a 1-1 draw in their decisive Group C encounter in Bujumbura. This will be the first AFCON final for Burundi in their history.
Kenya coach Sebastien Migne, who was in attendance, had said they will go to Egypt as worthy competitors.
"We want to prove that we deserve to be there,” Migne told Cafonline.com.
“We are here for the first time in 15 years. We are really eager to know who we are going to meet and we know it is not going to be easy. Everyone who qualified did so by merit. We have an expanded AFCON which will make it even tougher. We look forward to the draws and see we will meet and so that we finish up our plans for the preparation.”
- Chelsea star agrees new five-year deal hours after Lampard’s appointmentFootball 1 month ago
- What went wrong with Harambee Stars in Egypt?Football 1 month ago
- Good news for Man United as club ‘agrees terms’ with Portuguese powerhouseGossip & Rumours 1 month ago
- Gor Mahia complete signing of Rwandese goal machineFootball 1 month ago
- Barcelona superstar 'says yes' to PSG transfer - paving way for Neymar returnFootball 1 month ago
- Gor Mahia to fly Kenyan flag in Kagame CupFootball 1 month ago
- How Kenyan stewards forgot their job as Kariobangi Sharks schooled Everton [Photos]Football 1 month ago