Friends School Kamusinga Boys shine in national showpiece
Friends School Kamusinga Boys fired an early warning as they edged out St Charles Lwanga of Mombasa 1-0 in hockey as Brookside Diary national secondary schools term one games kicked off in Mombasa yesterday.
Kamusinga, the 12-time national champions, produced a good show as they dominated the four quarters.
Despite battling for a barren draw in the first quarter, Kamusinga banked on forwards Daniel Mumo, Gideon Mshindi and Moses Munyeti that gave St Charles Lwanga’s defence hard time.
It was in the 34th minute when Felix Khisa broke the stalemate after he scored from Mumo’s fine cross.
St Charles Lwanga came closer to cancelling with five minutes to the final whistle through captain Josiah Mwatika but his shot went wide.
Kamusinga coach Godfrey Muleyi said: “We played as if we were in the final and this proves our bid to reclaim our title. It is our culture to produce good results in academics and sports.”
In another boys’ match, Ralph Maoni scored in the seventh minute to steer Homabay to a 1-0 win over Nairobi School.
Philip Odhiambo, the Homabay coach, said his focus is to beat Kamusinga to book a semi-final spot.
In girls’ contest, it was a battle of saints after St Joseph’s Kibwezi beat St Mary’s Taachasis 1-0 with Agriphna Musyoka scoring the lone goal in the 23rd minute.
In another girls’ match, St Johns Kaloleni came from a goal down to draw 1-1 with Nyamira.
Phanies Aluoch scored for Nyamira in the 15th minute before St Johns pulled the equaliser in the 54th minute via Roseline Kazungu.
- Confirmed: Harambee Stars knocked out of 2019 AfconFootball 1 month ago
- Chelsea star agrees new five-year deal hours after Lampard’s appointmentFootball 1 month ago
- Gor Mahia to fly Kenyan flag in Kagame CupFootball 1 month ago
- How Kenyan stewards forgot their job as Kariobangi Sharks schooled Everton [Photos]Football 1 month ago
- Good news for Man United as club ‘agrees terms’ with Portuguese powerhouseGossip & Rumours 1 month ago
- Gor Mahia complete signing of Rwandese goal machineFootball 1 month ago
- Barcelona superstar 'says yes' to PSG transfer - paving way for Neymar returnFootball 1 month ago