National cross country winner Amos Kirui bags February Sports Personality award
Amos Kirui, the national cross country winner, has been named StarTimes SJAK Sports Personality
of the month of February winner.
Kirui, who graduated to the senior cadre last season, was voted for the award after winning the men’s 10-kilometre race during the national cross country trials at Eldoret Sports Club where he beat top-notch athletes among them two-time world cross country champion Geoffrey Kamworor.
Kirui posted 29:51 minutes edging out Evans Keitany (29:58) and Rodgers Kwemoi (30:00). Kirui, the 2016 IAAF World under-20 3,000m steeplechase champion, beat Ivory Coast rally winner Manvir Baryan and world 5,000m champion Hellen Obiri to bag the award.
He received a personalized trophy, 42 Inch StarTimes Digital TV and Sh100,000 cash prize.
Kirui joins the growing list of athletes who have won Startimes award alongside boxer Fatuma Zarika, world marathon record holder Eliud Kipchoge, three-time New York Marathon winner Mary Keitany, Commonwealth Games 800m champion Wycliffe Kinyamal, world 5,000m champion Hellen Obiri, chess player Sasha Mongeli, swimmer Maria Brunhelner, rally driver Manvir Baryan, world 3,000m steeplechase champion Beatrice Chepkoech and boxer Judy Waguthi.
Kirui was delighted with the award saying it inspires him ahead of the track season.
“I am happy to be named the best sports personality in February. Winning national trials was not easy since to beat a strong field that included Kamworor was tough. This is good motivation as I prepare for the track season and World championships later in the year.”
Speaking during the award ceremony, StarTimes Director of Marketing and PR Japheth Akhulia said:
“Kirui becomes the 20th winner of the StarTimes award since its inception in 2017. We are committed to continuing with this journey in recognizing outstanding performances by our sportsmen and women while challenging others out there to work even harder as we will continue being on the lookout of the best performers and awarding the same.”
- Shock as Kenya listed among countries with highest ILLEGAL Premier League viewersPremier League 1 week ago
- Meet Arsenal’s new striker – who had several trials at Man United Football 2 weeks ago
- Mane says he will step down as Senegal penalty-taker for nowFootball 2 weeks ago
- Reason why Man Utd's transfer for Bruno Fernandes has been delayedFootball 1 week ago
- WWE superstar rushed to hospital with 'separated pelvis' after fightSports 2 weeks ago
- Arsenal highly unlikely to sign Wilfried Zaha as transfer saga turns uglyFootball 2 weeks ago
- Zaha sends powerful message to fans on joining ArsenalFootball 2 weeks ago