Francis Kahata scores to give Gor Mahia hard fought win over Kariobangi Sharks
Francis Kahata scored in the 44th minute to give Gor Mahia a hard fought 2-1 win over Kariobangi Sharks at Moi Stadium Kisumu and with that went to the top of the SportPesa Premier for the first time this season.
Kenneth Miguna’s neat one-on-one link up with Kahata opened up the Sharks backline and the midfielder found the net 18 yards away beating John Oyemba in goal after the Lawrence Jumah had cancelled out Erick Kapaito’s 20th minute opener.
The victory took the defending champions top with 38 points two more than second-placed Sofapaka who have played two matches more than Gor Mahia.
Gor Mahia faded after a bright opening as Sharks quickly settled and would have gone ahead early.
Erick Kapaito found the net in the 20th minute as he caught the sluggish Gor Mahia backline off-guard from a counter-attack.
K’Ogalo almost responded two minutes later through Kenneth Miguna who went past four defenders from the left wing but failed to convert.
Nicholas Kipkirui then found winger Omondi unmarked in the centre but he shot wide as momentum continued to build.
Gor’s resilience and continued attack finally paid off in the 26th minute when Philemon Otieno cut in between two Shark defenders from the right wing to find Laurence Juma alone at the penalty box and the midfielder beat Oyemba with a low strike in the bottom left corner.
In the 43rd minute, an overhead flick from Miguna released an arriving Kahata who launched an 18-yard volley to the top left corner giving the champions the lead.
In Chemelil, Musa Oundo’s 39th minute goal took Chemelil Sugar up to 13th in the log after defeating visiting Tusker 2-1 at home.
Boniface Muchiri had given the visitor the lead in the 15th minute but the millers responded through Lucas Waitere in the 28 minute to set up another fantastic first half comeback of the weekend in the league.
In the Shield Cup, KCB, Congo Boyz and SS Assad qualified for the quarter-finals of the tournament after registering wins yesterday. KCB bat Vihiga Sportiff 4-0.
- Does superstition exist in German football?Football 2 months ago
- Greedy Kenyan coach accused of swallowing players’ salariesGossip & Rumours 2 months ago
- It’s very hard to respect Sarri - shock Chelsea defender’s confessionFootball 1 month ago
- Eden Hazard pictured holding Real Madrid shirt in Spain Football 2 weeks ago
- Rugby star sacked over homophobic comments on social mediaRugby 1 month ago
- Kenyan footballer handed 10-year ban by FIFA for match-fixingFootball 1 month ago
- South Korea scraps joint Olympic hockey team with North KoreaAthletics 3 weeks ago