Chess: Anchor Club enjoys three-point lead in league
James Nyaga inspired Anchor Chess Club to three vital wins in the 2019 Kenya Premier Chess League to maintain its three-point advantage over second-placed Equity Bank, who won all their matches over the weekend at Kenyatta University.
Nyaga played a vital role in the leaders’ two games against Jomo Kenyatta University of Science and Technology (JKUAT) and Kenyatta University, winning all his board one games against Brian Chege of JKUAT and Dennis Maina of Kenyatta University.
Anchor defeated Lighthouse, JKUAT and Kenyatta University 4-1 but lost 4.5-0.5 to 2016 champions KCB Bank.
Team captain Solomon Thuo said they are focused on stopping Equity when they face the champions next weekend.
“We have had a perfect start to the league and we are aiming to maintain our lead. The loss to KCB Bank was a reality check that we are not yet there and need to work harder in our next fixtures,” he said.
Equity Bank, on the other hand, continued their title defence by completing six consecutive wins; against JKUAT, NACHA Kings and Eastlands.
The defending champions dropped one and a half points in their first match against the university students but rallied to win 3.5-1.5 before thrashing NACHA Kings 5-0.
- Betika launches BetikaNaCommunity projectSports 2 days ago
- Bulgaria coach resigns after fans subjected England's black players with racist abuse Football 2 days ago
- Atalanta coach furious after leading scorer injured ahead of Man City clashFootball 2 days ago
- Everton 2 – 0 West Ham: Resurgent Everton outclass West Ham to end losing runFootball 1 day ago
- Man United job isn't too big for me, says SolskjaerFootball 1 day ago
- David Luiz reveals the club that can challenge Liverpool to win EPL title this seasonFootball 1 day ago
- Alonso silences Newcastle taunts as Chelsea climb to thirdFootball 1 day ago