Manangoi and Jebitok to lead Kenyans in Ivory Coast
World Under-20 1,500m champion George Manangoi and Ednah Jebitok will lead a legion of Kenyan athletes to the 14th edition Africa Under-18 and Under-20 Athletics Championships in Abidjan, Ivory Coast, from April 22-28.
Yesterday, Athletics Kenya picked the team after two-day high adrenaline double trials at Kasarani Stadium where 45 athletes secured tickets to the continental showpiece.
Banking on experience in his specialty, Manangoi planned well his moves as he won the race in 3:47.96 ahead of Cornelius Kibet (3:48.19).
“I have prepared well and I was sure of making the team. I have never since participated in any African competitions. So, this is a great opportunity for me,” said Manangoi, who is coached by Bernard Ouma at Rongai Athletics Club.
Jebitok and Maryline Cherono will fly Kenya's flag in women’s 1,500m after timing 4:15.9 and 14:17.0 respectively.
Kericho-based Emmaculate Anyango won women’s Under-20 3000m finals in 9:29.84. 2017 World bronze medalist Emmaculate Chepkirui finished second to make the Kenyan squad.
Vincent Keter, a member of Rongai Athletics Club, won the U-18 1500m finals and will partner with Peter Wangari in Ivory Coast. Janet Nyiva and Maureen Cherotich in 1,500m race.
- Liverpool player wages revealed Ahead of Tottenham clashFootball 1 month ago
- Athletics: World Relays team off to YokohamaAthletics 2 weeks ago
- Arsenal-mad dad puts up Sh340,000 for hypnotist to cure son of supporting TottenhamGossip & Rumours 1 month ago
- Bandari rampage their way into SportPesa Shield finalsFootball 1 week ago
- How Messi reacted to Ronaldo's Champions League exitFootball 1 month ago
- Arsenal’s new Adidas pre-match kit leaked [Photos]Football 2 weeks ago
- Taekwondo: KDF win Chairman’s Cup Sports 1 month ago