Lukenya hold nerves to edge Meru school
Champions Meru School yesterday began their title defence with a result they never wished for after losing by a half basket to Lukenya as the 2019 Eastern Region Secondary Schools Term One games began on their home turf.
It was sweet revenge for Machakos County winners as they returned a favour to their hosts who beat them last year, also at the groups.
Meru went on to win the regional title while Lukenya, who are eying this year’s title, finished third.
Luka Majak scored an impressive 18 points to lead his side as his teammates Gabriel Bol and captain James Khan added six and seven points respectively to squeeze a narrow 41-40 win.
Steward Igane led the hosts with 15 points while Collins Macharia scored 10 even as their side, which finished fourth at last year’s national games, succumbed to pressure.
Despite the loss, Meru coach Paul Muli remained optimistic saying they still have a chance to correct their mistakes and book a place in the quarters.
“It is unfortunate we had to lose by half a basket. The boys played well but our opponents managed to go ahead of us and snatched the win. All is not lost because we still have a chance to make it to the knockout stage,” said Muli.
“We only need to ensure we make the best out of our remaining group matches.”
- Body of star footballer who perished in lake accident foundFootball 1 month ago
- Meet the cute 19-year-old who will cost you Sh14 billionFootball 1 month ago
- AFCON: Algeria Vs Guinea betting tip and predictionsFootball 1 month ago
- Zaha shows why Gunners want him as he sends Ivory Coast throughFootball 1 month ago
- Meet Kenyan referee who will officiate AFCONFootball 2 months ago
- CORRECTION: Magufuli clip on Taifa Stars’ performance was taken out of contextSports 1 month ago
- Varsity don Waweru makes history as first Kenyan centre ref at AfconFootball 1 month ago