Lukenya hold nerves to edge Meru school
Champions Meru School yesterday began their title defence with a result they never wished for after losing by a half basket to Lukenya as the 2019 Eastern Region Secondary Schools Term One games began on their home turf.
It was sweet revenge for Machakos County winners as they returned a favour to their hosts who beat them last year, also at the groups.
Meru went on to win the regional title while Lukenya, who are eying this year’s title, finished third.
Luka Majak scored an impressive 18 points to lead his side as his teammates Gabriel Bol and captain James Khan added six and seven points respectively to squeeze a narrow 41-40 win.
Steward Igane led the hosts with 15 points while Collins Macharia scored 10 even as their side, which finished fourth at last year’s national games, succumbed to pressure.
Despite the loss, Meru coach Paul Muli remained optimistic saying they still have a chance to correct their mistakes and book a place in the quarters.
“It is unfortunate we had to lose by half a basket. The boys played well but our opponents managed to go ahead of us and snatched the win. All is not lost because we still have a chance to make it to the knockout stage,” said Muli.
“We only need to ensure we make the best out of our remaining group matches.”
- Stars sweat over Adel’s Sh108m debtFootball 20 hours ago
- Bolt set to become father after announcing girlfriend is expectingSports 11 hours ago
- Nadal eases into third round in MelbourneTennis 10 hours ago
- Latest transfer update on Tottenham midfielder Victor WanyamaFootball 2 days ago
- FA hit back at Klopp and Guardiola Premier League 8 hours ago
- Is this Bidco United’s yearSports 21 hours ago
- Five Harambee Starlets players making headlines in Europe [PHOTOS] Football 2 days ago