Former Fifa referee says Gor could face heavy fine
Former Fifa referee Maxim Itur says Gor Mahia may face heavy sanctions from the Confederations of African Football (CAF) after fans invaded the pitch on Sunday during a match against Petro Atletico of Angola.
Hundreds of fans invaded the pitch in celebration after Gor Mahia beat their opponents 1-0 to advance to the quarter-final stage of the CAF Confederations Cup.
But Itur now anticipates heavy sanctions against the Kenyan club insisting that CAF does not take lightly such actions.
“I was shocked to see fans running on the pitch after the match. It is never allowed and my fear is that CAF could fine Gor Mahia up to Sh30milllion considering the seriousness of the offence.
“That action endangered not just the away team but also the referees. There is even danger that the away team players could fake injuries and claim to have been hurt by the invading fans. In such a situation, Gor Mahia will be asked to pay for their treatment,” he said.
Itur said CAF follows such matches closely and therefore saw everything that happened on the pitch.
He called on local clubs to educate their fans on acceptable behaviour to avoid such punitive action.
“At this level, fans must be educated on the expected behaviour and understand that whatever they do, may end up affecting their clubs. CAF puts a lot of emphasis on such matches and monitors them keenly to ensure everything goes on well.”
In the meantime, Gor Mahia will know their quarter-final opponents today when CAF meets in Cairo, Egypt to conduct the draw.
The winner of the Cup pockets Sh125million.
- President Magufuli gifts national team players with pieces of land after AFCON qualificationFootball 1 month ago
- ‘Floyd will return soon’ says fatherBoxing 3 weeks ago
- Ricardo Badoer: Meet the man pulling tough strings at Wazito FCFootball 1 month ago
- India arrests Nigerian footballer with hard drugs, expired visa [Photos]Football 1 week ago
- Breaking: Lionel Messi returns to Argentina squad for 1st time since World CupFootball 1 month ago
- Football: Premier League penalty rule remainsPremier League 1 month ago
- Kahata scores to give Gor Mahia hard fought win Football 3 weeks ago