Napoli keeper Ospina out of hospital after head injury scare
Napoli goalkeeper David Ospina has been discharged from hospital and is recovering from his frightening collapse after a knock to the head at the weekend, the Serie A club announced on Monday.
The 30-year-old, who is on loan from Arsenal, will miss Colombia's international friendlies against Japan on March 22 and South Korea four days later after suddenly falling to the ground 41 minutes after receiving treatment following his collision with Ignacio Pussetto during Sunday's 4-2 win over Udinese.
"David Ospina was discharged this afternoon from the Pineta Grande Clinic where he had been admitted last night for a series of checks," Napoli wrote in a statement.
"Checks have ruled out any problem. The player was advised to take a few days of rest and will not respond to his call-up for the national team."
Ospina's wife Jesica Sterling said on Instagram that Ospina "was much better" at home, "waiting for the shock to completely subside".
Napoli, meanwhile, are reported to have ordered an investigation into decisions taken by medics, who allowed Ospina to continue playing, and transferred him initially to the nearby San Paolo hospital where there is no neurosurgery department.
Ospina suffered "a hypotensive crisis resulting from a head injury," Napoli had said on Sunday, which is a sudden fall in blood pressure which can cause dizziness and fainting.
Ospina played for six years with French club Nice before joining Arsenal in 2014. He arrived at Napoli last August on a one-year loan with an option to buy.
He has played 14 league games for Serie A runners-up Napoli including Sunday's 4-2 win over Udinese.
- Solskjaer faces up to reality as Barcelona roll into townFootball 1 month ago
- Obiri stars in Manchester as Kenyans rule the worldAthletics 1 day ago
- Origi sends powerful message to Wanyama ahead of Champions League finalFootball 1 week ago
- No-nonsense female Kenyan footballer beating up husband at homeGossip & Rumours 1 month ago
- Mbappe sent off as PSG lose in French Cup finalFootball 3 weeks ago
- Mbappe drops transfer bombshell in front of shocked bossFootball 1 day ago
- Five Africa Cup of Nations facts you need to knowFootball 1 month ago