Arsenal 3-0 BATE Borisov (Agg 3-1): 5 talking points as Gunners advance in Europa League
Arsenal bounced back from their dismal defeat in Belarus to comfortably dispose of BATE Borisov on home soil and book their place in the Europa League last 16.
Trailing 1-0 from the first leg, Unai Emery's men took just over three minutes to wipe out the visitors' aggregate lead, Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang twisting past Aleksandar Filipovic before fizzing a low cross, which deflected off Zakhar Volkov's shins and into the net.
Emery had called for more from his side after last week's shambolic display and they were far more aggressive than seven days ago.
Alex Iwobi fired wide minutes after the opener before Henrikh Mkhitaryan blazed over from inside the penalty area.
They were given a warning shortly after, with Stephan Lichtsteiner clearing off his own goal line, but they took the aggregate lead before the break, thanks to Shkodran Mustafi's powerful header.
Another defender, substitute Sokratis, also nodded home to make it 3-0 on the hour mark.
And with Mesut Ozil back in the side, the Gunners eased into the next round of a competition which Emery has previously won on three occasions.
- Take it or leave it: Man United make final offer to De GeaFootball 1 week ago
- Walcott, Gomes included as star-studded Everton lands at JKIA for Kariobangi Sharks tieFootball 1 week ago
- Shock as Messi faces two year banFootball 1 week ago
- Stage set for Kenya Cup play-offs clashRugby 3 months ago
- Michael Olunga: Senegal are also humanFootball 2 weeks ago
- IDPA Expert shooter Onyango set for MagTech Cup in HungarySports 2 weeks ago
- Women’s World Cup: Social media uproar after ‘Tea-sipping’ goal celebrationFootball 1 week ago