Like father like son: Reactions pour in as Paquiao urges his son not to follow his path
Boxing star Manny Pacquiao on Wednesday, February 20 had something to say on his eldest son's boxing career.
The Philippine-based boxer who is popular for his title-studded career and his famous 'rags to riches' story urged his son Emmanuel Jr a.k.a Jimuel not to pursue a boxing career and instead follow a different path.
Pacquiao is the only boxer in the world to win titles in eight different weight divisions but despite his decorated career, he doesn't stand by his son's decision to plunge into the boxing business. 'Pacman' reacted to a video of Jimuel in an exhibition match posted on social media.
Speaking on broadcaster ABS-CBN, Paquiao said: "It pains me that he is boxing because I know how hard it is. I told him, Daddy only went into boxing because of poverty... You, you don't need to box. His mommy had cried several times telling him don't go into boxing son…"
Pacquiao's son joins a growing list of boxers who are trying to follow in their fathers' footsteps.
The sons of British boxers Nigel Benn and Chris Eubank, as well as American slugger Joe Frazier have taken the initiative of making boxing a family sport.
Whether Emmanuel Jr listens to his father's advice and ends his career early remains to be seen.
However, some fans have had a say on the boxer's thoughts and here are some of the comments as collected by Game Yetu:
One KillaMane26 said - "Don't blame him"- asking fans not to blame Pacquiao for not approving his sons boxing ambitions."
A Spenz said "Manny has a lot of sons I think, but this son is not the guy who has that gene -It may be in one of the other sons. I don't see fast twitch muscle. Technique is not important this early. But those fast twitch muscle, you either have it or not. Manny probably knows this; he knows his son doesn't have it."
Pasawayako said - "Pac is still the king of the ww"?
- Dennis Oliech: Pay me or else…Football 3 weeks ago
- Kabras Sugar head coach upbeat ahead of KCB testRugby 4 weeks ago
- Maurizio Sarri: I can avoid being sacked by ChelseaFootball 4 weeks ago
- Refugee footballer becomes Australian citizen after Thai ordealFootball 1 week ago
- ‘Sometimes my body just says no’ – De Bruyne opens up on injuriesPremier League 1 month ago
- Wanyama, Ozil, Mbappe and stars pay tribute to SalaFootball 1 month ago
- How Lukaku and Sanchez celebrated Man Utd's win at Crystal PalaceFootball 3 weeks ago