Petro Atletico leave Gor hurting one vital

By Gilbert Wandera: Wednesday, February 13th 2019 at 21:20 GMT +3 | Football

Gor Mahia suffered their first loss in the Confederations Cup after going down 2-1 to hosts Angolan side Petro Atletico de Luanda in a group ‘D’ match Wednesday night.

Goals from Mungux Quiberto and Toni Rosa Ribeiro gave the home team all the three points and throw the group wide open.

A late goal by Nicholas Kipkurui is all Gor Mahia could get from Luanda.

The Kenyan side that travelled without their top marksmen Dennis Oliech and Jacques Tuyisenge, struggled to break down their opponent’s backline and even the replacements made by head coach Hassan Oktay did not bring the much needed change.

Tuyisenge, who scored two goals in a 4-2 win over Zamalek of Egypt and Oliech, were both unavailable.

Tuyisenge was suspended for the match while Oliech is nursing an injury picked last Friday during a training session at Camp Toyoyo.

Get the latest sports news updates. Subscribe to our SMS sports service by texting 'SPORTS' to 22840.

Francis Mustafa made the first attempt for Gor Mahia but his third-minute effort was easily dealt with by Gerson de Costa in the Petro Atletico goal.

Three minutes later, K'Ogalo captain Haroun Shakava, making his first appearance for Gor Mahia in the Confederations Cup group stages, was forced to clear a dangerous ball inside the box.

At the 10th minute mark, Francis Kahata’s perfectly delivered cross inside the hosts’ backline was dealt with without much trouble.

Good exchanges by Gor players ended up with Shafique Batambuze’s cross that found Mustafa but his header was easily dealt with once again.

Gor Mahia suffered the first set back in the 12th minute after a poor clearance allowed Quiberto to score the first goal.

The goal looked to have inspired the hosts who could have gone ahead again in the 21st minute.

In the 36th minute, however, Toni Rosa Ribeiro made no mistake as he scored the second and stretched his side’s lead going into the break.

In the second half, it was the hosts who could have pilled more pressure on Gor with Job Ricardo picking out Denis Sesugh but his header was well dealt with by Boniface Oluoch in goal.

With a two-goal deficit and the clock ticking, Gor Mahia threw in Nicholas Kipkurui for an ineffective Francis Mustaffa and the move proved somewhat helpful as the Kenyan side took the game to their opponents.

Gor was once again making inroads into their opponent’s goal and earned several free kicks and corners that were not as lethal.

The Angolans were always dangerous every time they broke away.

Wilson Pinto’s target header went just wide with Oluoch and the whole of Gor Mahia backline already beaten.

With 20 minutes to go, Pinto also failed to make it three goals for the Angolan team from a well-placed ball on the right flank.

Kipkurui finally pulled one back for Gor Mahia in injury time with a perfect header.

Gor have now lost their first group match in this year's campaign. They defeated Zamalek 4-2 in their first group match at Kasarani.

Gor Mahia’s away record has always not been the best.

In fact, their results away from home is what cost them a quarter-final place in last year's campaign.

Apart from beating Yanga, Gor Mahia drew once and lost the other away fixture.

The Kenyan league champions were hoping to exorcise those ghosts but it seems it might take longer to do just that.