Gareth Bale makes shock admission over Zinedine Zidane relationship at Real Madrid
Gareth Bale admits he hasn't spoken to Zinedine Zidane since his stunning goal in the Champions League final.
The Welshman scored a sensational overhead kick as Real beat Liverpool in May to claim their third Champions League in a row.
Bale had started the encounter on the bench before scoring twice for Los Blancos.
Speaking after the match, he admitted his frustration at the snub and sparked doubts over his long-term future at Real under Zidane.
Within a matter of days, Zidane quit as manager but there has been no contact with Bale since the victory in Kiev.
“He didn’t talk to me about it – I still haven’t spoken to him since. I wouldn’t say we were best mates, it was just a normal professional relationship," he told FourFourTwo.
On his man of the match display in the final, Bale added: "I was really frustrated not to start. I was desperate to get onto that pitch. When I ran on I was still a bit angry, and that’s probably why I did what I did next.
“I’ve watched the goal back a couple of times. I didn’t feel like I had a point to prove – I wanted to do it for myself and the team."
Julen Lopetegui replaced Zidane but he didn't last long before Santiago Solari arrived with Real having a difficult campaign.
Bale has managed just five La Liga goals this term and faced a fan backlash but his agent insists he does not want to quit the European champions.
- Diego Maradona’s daughter 'walked in on him taking drugs'Football 2 weeks ago
- Copa del Rey: Suarez nets double as Barca floors Madrid to reach finalFootball 1 month ago
- Football: Pogba wants 'happy coach' Solskjaer to stayPremier League 1 month ago
- Confederations Cup: Gor could face heavy fine - Former Fifa refereeFootball 1 month ago
- Three broke KPL players ‘nailing’ loaded woman in shiftsGossip & Rumours 3 weeks ago
- AFCON Qualifier vs Ghana: No Michael Olunga for Harambee StarsFootball 1 month ago
- Man Utd 0-1 Barcelona: 5 talking points as Catalans land Champions League advantageFootball 2 weeks ago