Kariobangi Sharks join Bandari in the final of SportPesa Cup after beating Tanzania’s Mbao on post-match penalties

By Ernest Ndunda in Dar es Salaam: Friday, January 25th 2019 at 19:27 GMT +3 | Football
William Wandari from Bandari FC runs away as he celebrates after scoring for his team's their first goal when they played against Gor Mahia FC during the opening of the 2019 Sportpesa Kenya Premier League match at the Mbarak Sports Club in Mombasa, December 8, 2018. [PHOTO BY GIDEON MAUNDU/STANDARD].

It’s a Kenyan final in Dar es Salaam

Striker William Wardi once again scores for the Dockers.

Kenya’s Bandari humbled Tanzanian football champions Simba 2-1 in the Sportpesa Cup semi-finals at the National Stadium in Dar es Salaam on Friday.

The Kenyans came from behind to book a place in Sunday’s final and move closer to playing against English Premier League side Everton.

In the second match of the day, Kariobangi Sharks joined Bandari in the final after beating Tanzania’s Mbao on post-match penalties.

The match ended 0-0 after extra time and the teams had to go to the lottery of penalties and the Kenyan side emerged victorious 6-5. In the early kick-off, William Wardi who for the second time was the man of the match, scored a penalty before Wilberforce Lugogo blasted home the second and winning goal. Simba scored through former Gor Mahia striker Meddie Kagere.

Get the latest sports news updates. Subscribe to our SMS sports service by texting 'SPORTS' to 22840.

Simba started the match strongly and could have surged ahead in the sixth minute after Kagere dispossessed defender Fred Nkata before passing the ball to Sadney Urikhob who shot wide.

Three minutes later, it was Bandari’s turn to shine but David King’atua’s free kick went over the bar.

Simba, who enjoyed support from the home fans had another open chance to take the lead in the 23rd minute when Urikhob’s flying kick missed to connect with Mohammed Hussein’s free kick as the match was stopped in the 25th minute for a water break due to the scorching heat.

Bandari were under pressure in the last 15 minutes of first half that forced them to opt for long and blind passes, which were easily intercepted by their opponents.

With three minutes to half time, Bandari made a good move after Abdallah Hassan sprinted with the ball from the centre before finding Wardi whose diving header went wide.

Kagere made good his earlier threats by unleashing a powerful shot that beat custodian Farouk Shikhalo in injury time as the teams went to the breather with Simba leading 1-0.

Simba coach Patrick Aussems then made changes in the second half as they chased a second goal. 

Paul Bukaba, Haruna Niyonzima and Emmanuel Okwi came in for Juuko Murushid, Hassan Dilunga and Urikhob.

Okwi was a thorn in Bandari defence but could not make his chances count.

Bandari coach coach Bernard Mwalala also responded with his own changes and soon they were level after Hassan Abdallah was tripped in the box and William Wardi made no mistake.


Related Topics: Bandari Sportpesa Cup
Man City re-sign star defender
Man City re-sign star defender
Football 2 weeks ago