Hog charge: Big field for Hog Charge in Ruiru today
Over 800 riders drawn from 50 schools across the country are set to take part in the 2019 Hog Charge challenge at Peponi School, Sukari Ranch Ruiru today.
The Hog Charge, now in its 21st edition, is Kenya’s national mountain bike competition for teens. It is also a charity event whose proceeds go towards supporting the Rhino Ark which is involved in a conservation project that focuses on the Mt Kenya water towers.
Riders will have to be at their best as they face a new race course with a more challenging navigation circuit which includes a new bike pit and cycling track. Adrenalin will without doubt rise at the penultimate stage complex terrain expected to give a befitting challenge and excitement to both riders and spectators.
Brookside Dairy, the sponsors of the Hog Charge for the past 18 years and hosts Peponi School, said all arrangements for the cycling competition were in place. Brookside Dairy Marketing Manager Peter Wasonga said that there will be more fun this year with the addition of a family challenge.
“Apart from the usual Under-12, -14 and open categories, this year’s event will also feature a family fun challenge for parents and their children, who will cover up to 18 km of the cycling course,” Wasonga said.
Wasonga added that the day for the riders will begin early with a 7am briefing with the first competitors taking to the terrain at 9am. “Teams will be issued with the maps during the briefing additionally important route and safety information will also be communicated at this time.”
Gilgil’s Pembroke House will seek to retain the girls’ race in Under-14 category following last year’s triumph, but face challenge from Peponi House. [Elizabeth Mburugu]
- Juventus agree deal with Chelsea for Sarri Football 1 week ago
- How Origi choked Messi in Champions League semi-finalFootball 1 month ago
- Muhammad Ali's autographed gold glove fails to sell at Turin auctionBoxing 1 week ago
- Cameroonian girls defy prejudice to pursue soccer dreamsFootball 1 month ago
- India arrests Nigerian footballer with hard drugs, expired visa [Photos]Football 2 months ago
- TRANSFER: Barcelona make 'approach' for Man Utd superstarFootball 2 weeks ago
- Kenyan jokes tear social media apart after Harambee Stars comical lossFootball 3 days ago