England beat Croatia to qualify for Nations League finals
England fought back to qualify for the semi-finals of the UEFA Nations League as Harry Kane and Jesse Lingard scored late goals in a pulsating 2-1 victory over Croatia, who were relegated from Group A4 after defeat at Wembley on Sunday.
England were themselves facing the drop when Croatia’s Andrej Kramaric scored after 57 minutes but substitute Lingard and Kane scored in the 77th and 85th minutes at a vociferous Wembley to turn the group on its head.
Gareth Southgate’s side had dominated for large periods but fell behind when Kramaric twisted and turned before firing in via a deflection off Eric Dier.
Goals from Lingard and Kane, however, ensured England finished top of a group where all three teams — including Spain who started the day top but finished second — could have qualified.
England, who progress to the finals in Portugal in June, finished with seven points, one ahead of Spain and three clear of Croatia, who were relegated to the second tier.
- Death robs Kenya of another rugby playerRugby 1 month ago
- Plenty to play for – K’Ogalo coach Oktay gracious in Zamalek defeatFootball 1 month ago
- Chelsea star charged with drunk driving after ‘nasty crash’ in ManchesterFootball 2 weeks ago
- Why Alexis Sanchez is the highest paid player in Premier League (Sh52 million per week)Football 1 month ago
- NOCK pleads with government to save headquarters from being auctionedAthletics 1 month ago
- Neymar in trouble, charged for rant after UCL loss to Man UnitedFootball 1 month ago
- How Menengai Oilers RFC whitewashed rivalsRugby 4 days ago