Runner up spot battle intensifies: AFC Leopards, Sofapaka, Bandari and Ulinzi Stars in chase for second place in league
With Gor Mahia having clinched the SportPesa Premier League title this season, battle moves to fight for the runners-up position as the league resumes this weekend.
Gor Mahia have won the 2018 title with six matches remaining after collecting 71 points. AFC Leopards, Sofapaka, Bandari and Ulinzi Stars can all finish in second position and will be going all out to pick maximum points in their matches.
Leopards who are third on the log with 48 points take on Posta Rangers at Machakos Stadium this afternoon with an aim to move closer to their target. After a bad run of results, Leopards seem to have stabilised of late and recently went a three match winning spree.
They go into today’s match against Rangers inspired and motivated. For goals, Leopards will bank on Ezekiel Odera who remains their second top scorer in the league on 11 goals.
Odera seems to have found his lost form since joining Leopards scoring goals at will and is responsible for the team’s recent good run.
Apart from Odera, Leopards will also be hoping that Whyvonne Isuza is in great shape in midfield. The former Mathare United midfielder has been very impressive for Leopards and not only does he supply well, he also has a knack for scoring.
It has been a disappointing season for Rangers no doubt. Despite starting well, the team handled by former international Sammy Omollo has found the going tough as the season progressed. Currently placed tenth on the log, they could still finish among the top five but only if they win all their remaining matches.
Rangers have been boosted by the return of goalkeeper Levi Opiyo who was attending trials in Sweden.
Second placed Bandari will be hoping to hung onto their position as they play away to Zoo Kericho tomorrow.
The porters are in line to have their best season and in youthful coach Bernard Mwalala have shown that they have what it takes to fight for bigger things.
Bandari are yet to lose since Mwalala joined them three months ago and have the meanest back line which has let in just 14 goals in 29 matches.
Goalkeeper Faruk Shikalo inline to win the best goalkeeper award this season is finally showing signs of having matured on the pitch and has fitted well in the shoes of now retired Wilson Obungu.
Champions Gor Mahia travel away to Thika United which are rooted at the bottom.
- Arsenal goalkeeper Petr Cech reveals why Wenger was not concerned about winning Football 16 hours ago
- Sports ministry under fire: Officials cry foul over poor working relations with parent ministrySports 10 hours ago
- ‘You will NEVER be captain again’ – Mourinho tells Pogba in training ground bust-upPremier League 1 hour ago
- Shakava: Gor should start early Caf preparations Football 10 hours ago
- Hockey: Debutants Lakers inch closer to women’s top tierHockey 1 day ago
- Ochieng shows how it’s done: Custodian trainer mentors budding talent in KayoleFootball 10 hours ago
- Kiptanui, Kipkirui lined up for Delhi 121km raceAthletics 10 hours ago