Nicklas Bendtner apologises, he was arrested for beating up taxi driver
Former Arsenal striker Nicklas Bendtner has issued a heartfelt apology after his reported arrest over an incident with a taxi driver.
Danish frontman Bendtner was said to be involved in an altercation which allegedly resulted in him breaking the jaw of a taxi driver in Copenhagen.
The Mail report that the Rosenborg star is said to have been arrested by police following the episode in the early hours of Sunday morning.
In his statement responding to the claims, Bendtner said: "'As you've been able to read in the media for the past couple of days, I've been involved in an extremely unfortunate episode and a very uncomfortable episode around 2 o'clock on Sunday.
"I could not imagine in my wildest imagination that it should develop as it did, and of course I'm extremely sad that the outcome became as unfortunate as it became.
"To Rosenborg fans and audiences, I regret that this has happened. And I regret that I did not avoid getting into the situation - even though I had previously tried to search away from it.
"From the start it has been a pleasure to play for Rosenborg's faithful audience, and I have made an honour of making them proud of myself and of the team.
"I do not easily track the backlash that this sad event means.
Reports by Danish tabloid Ekstra Bladet state that Bendtner had been out partying with girlfriend Philine Roepstorff at Lusso nightclub.
The Copenhagen were alerted to a violent incident involving the cab driver at 2:41am on Sunday.
Bendtner has been with current club Rosenborg since 2017, and has performed well there, averaging over a goal every other game.
The 30-year-old was quick to apologise to the club in his statement.
He said: "Facing the club, I'm sorry with all my heart that we are standing here today.
"Rosenborg has been more than a good club for me. It felt like a new home and a new family, as I needed more than ever a change and a new start.'
- Man City star Mendy savagely replies to Donald Trump’s tweetGossip & Rumours 1 hour ago
- Arsene Wenger rejected Fulham before they turned to RanieriPremier League 3 hours ago
- Chelsea among FIVE Premier League clubs facing banPremier League 5 hours ago
- Thunder strike Equity BankBasketball 13 hours ago
- The one decision Mourinho made that led to Sanchez wanting to quitFootball 17 hours ago
- Someone wins jackpot worth millions and disappears Sports 1 day ago
- Man City’s Walker deletes tweet mocking Man United – but fans see it anywayPremier League 3 days ago