French club Saint-Etienne confirm death of William Gomis after being shot
Former Saint-Etienne footballer William Gomis has died, the French club have confirmed, with the 19-year-old reportedly shot dead.
The defender left the Ligue 1 side this summer after five years, with 18 appearances for the reserve side.
Circumstances surrounding the death are yet to be confirmed, though local reports in Saint-Etienne claim Gomis was shot in La Seyne-sur-Mer.
Police reportedly found 24 Kalashnikov cases at the scene, with a 14-year-old boy also said to have died in the incident.
"AS Saint-Étienne had the immense sadness to learn of the tragic death of William Gomis, which occurred last night," read a club statement.
"Appreciated by his former team-mates and educators for his human qualities, the young player, who would have turned 20 in December, did all his training at the club where he had arrived at the age of 15.
"The club's leaders, coaches, players and employees are deeply affected by William's sudden death and offer their deepest sympathies to his family."
- Brendan Rodgers coming back to the Premier LeaguePremier League 4 weeks ago
- PSG consider legal action against ex-Man United man EvraFootball 6 days ago
- How Emiliano Sala’s saga highlights murky dealings of player agentsFootball 2 weeks ago
- Dennis Oliech: Pay me or else…Football 4 weeks ago
- Jose Mourinho gets Sh2.5b in compensationFootball 1 month ago
- Kiprop stuns classy field to win RAK 21km contestAthletics 1 month ago
- ‘We were not best mates’ – Bale makes shock admission on relationship with ZidaneFootball 1 month ago