KPL: Nakumatt thrash Mathare as AFC claw Thika United
Joe Waithira scored a brace as Nakumatt bounced back from last weekend’s humiliating defeat to AFC Leopards to thrash Mathare United 4-0 in yesterday’s SportPesa Premier League match at Camp Toyoyo.
The victory saw Nakumatt go level on points (32) with 12th placed Zoo Kericho, who face former champions Tusker at Ruaraka Grounds today.
Mathare remain sixth with 38 points.
In Thika, Nigerian import Alex Orotomal opened his AFC Leopards account as Ingwe piled more misery for bottom-rooted Thika United after beating them 2-0, while Nzoia Sugar held Sofapaka to 2-2 draw at Sudi Stadium.
Orotamal put Leopards ahead with a 65th minute wonder goal before on-form Ezekiel Odera extended the lead, nine minutes later to take his season tally to 12.
Leopards’ fourth consecutive win was a perfect warm up to next weekend’s Mashemeji derby. They are now level on points (48) with second placed Bandari.
At Toyoyo, it took Waithira only three minutes to break the deadlock when he latched onto Harun Nyakha’s pass before doubling Nakumatt’s lead after the hour mark.
Kelvin Thairu made it 3-0, two minutes after coming on for Waithira in the 70th minute.
Fellow substitute John Avire put the game beyond the former champions with a well taken penalty kick in the 78th minute after he was hacked down in the box by Johnstone Omurwa.
Substitute Clifford Alwanga had a chance to pull a goal back for the Slum boys later in the game.
However, the former Tusker striker could not beat goalkeeper Phillip Odhiambo from the spot after Eugene Ambulwa was penalised for handball.
Elsewhere, the Rwanda Football Federation has named Vincent Mashami as the new coach of the national team.
Mashami replaces German Antoine Hey who left his position after Rwanda’s exit at the African Nations Championship (CHAN) in Morocco. [Rodgers Eshitemi]
- Man United manager Solskjaer speaks on new club signingsFootball 1 month ago
- Arsenal appoint former midfielder technical directorFootball 1 month ago
- Jesse Were receives encouraging message after AFCON snubFootball 1 month ago
- Betting company to shut 700 gambling shops, putting 4,500 jobs at riskSports 1 month ago
- Nemanja Vidic lined up for shock Man United returnFootball 1 month ago
- Chelsea new boss opens up on team future, names star who'll be crucial for Blues next seasonFootball 1 month ago
- Manchester United close to nailing elusive signatureFootball 1 month ago