Manchester United star ruled out for weeks after horrific injury
Manchester United defender Diogo Dalot will miss the start of the Premier League season due to a knee injury, manager Jose Mourinho has said.
The 19-year-old, who joined United on a five-year contract last month, sustained the injury while playing for former club FC Porto in the closing stages of last season.
“Dalot is injured; we knew that but we didn’t want to lose him because of that,” Mourinho told reporters during the club’s pre-season tour.
“He will not be ready for the start of the season but we think he’ll be ready for September.”
Fellow fullback Luke Shaw was restricted to 11 league appearances last term but says he is eager to prove he could still have a future at Old Trafford despite entering the final year of his contract.
“It has been disappointing. I look back over the last few years and I’ve not had a massive run in the team,” Shaw told reporters. “I don’t think I would still be involved if the manager didn’t believe in me.”
United begin their pre-season with friendlies against Club America on Friday and San Jose Earthquakes two days later before next week’s International Champions Cup tournament.
- Manchester City confirm second signing for Sh8 billionFootball 1 month ago
- AFCON: Algeria Vs Guinea betting tip and predictionsFootball 1 month ago
- Zaha shows why Gunners want him as he sends Ivory Coast throughFootball 1 month ago
- Meet Kenyan referee who will officiate AFCONFootball 2 months ago
- CORRECTION: Magufuli clip on Taifa Stars’ performance was taken out of contextSports 1 month ago
- Varsity don Waweru makes history as first Kenyan centre ref at AfconFootball 1 month ago
- Meet the cute 19-year-old who will cost you Sh14 billionFootball 1 month ago