Croatia braves English fight to qualify for World Cup final
Croatia reached the World Cup final for the first time after an extra-time goal from Mario Mandzukic gave them a 2-1 win over England in their semi-final on Wednesday.
Ivan Perisic headed the ball into the area, the England defence hesitated and Mandzukic drove his finish past keeper Jordan Pickford with 11 minutes of extra time left to earn them a place in Sunday’s final against France.
England got off to a flying start when Kieran Trippier curled in a free kick after five minutes to put them ahead and they looked more dangerous throughout the first half.
Croatia took control after halftime and hit back when Perisic got in front of his marker to flick in a high cross from Sime Vrsaljko in the 68th minute.
- Scorpions sting Vikings: KCAU hold Wazalendo to a 2-2 drawHockey 1 day ago
- Aged 51, George Weah comes out of retirement [Photos]Football 1 week ago
- What’s left of Conseslus Kipruto’s car after Tuesday night crash? [Photos]Athletics 5 days ago
- Gary Neville warns Paul Pogba, fuels transfer speculationPremier League 1 week ago
- Harambee Stars new boy Gonzalez feeling loved, asks Kenyans for one thing onlyFootball 1 week ago
- Premier League star accused of ‘drugging and raping’ top modelPremier League 1 month ago
- Paul Pogba attacks Jose Mourinho after 1-1 draw with WolvesFootball 1 day ago