SportPesa Super Cup winners to play Everton in England
SportPesa Super Cup champions Gor Mahia will battle with three other Kenyan teams in this year’s edition of the regional tournament slated for June 3-10 at the newly refurbished Kasarani Stadium.
Unlike the previous edition where K’Ogalo played English Premier League side Everton in Tanzania after beating rivals AFC Leopards 3-0, this year’s winners will earn a chance to travel to England in July to play the Toffees at Goodison Park.
The champions of the tournament, which will be played in a knock-out format, will also walk away with Sh3 million in prize money. The first runners-up will receive Sh1 million and third-place finishers will earn Sh750,000.
The fourth-placed team will get Sh500,000, while the quarter finalists will take home Sh250,000.
“The tournament’s goal is to enhance cohesion in the region as well as showcase football talent in East African," said SportPesa Chief Marketing Officer Kelvin Twissa during the tournament’s launch in Nairobi yesterday.
"We have selected the best to take part in the tournament."
Apart from AFC Leopards, Gor will face stiff opposition from last season’s third-place league finishers Kariobangi Sharks and Kakamega Homeboyz. Tanzania will be represented by champions Simba SC, Yanga and Singida and Zanzibar’s Jeshi la Kujenga Uchumi.
- Athletics: US college track star performs incredible 'superman dive' to win raceAthletics 4 days ago
- Transfer News LIVE: Liverpool, Arsenal and Man Utd latest plus Alexis Sanchez gossipFootball 2 weeks ago
- Juju man threatens to ‘sew’ KPL club over arrearsGossip & Rumours 1 month ago
- Man United’s Paul Pogba a shock inclusion in PFA team of the yearFootball 3 weeks ago
- Why is Arsenal’s Lacazette on Barcelona’s official website?Football 3 days ago
- Pochettino delivers bad news about KaneFootball 1 month ago
- Premier League players to boycott social media in racism protestPremier League 1 month ago