Former Chelsea star Michael Essien now on the lookout for a new club
Former Chelsea and Ghana midfielder Michael Essien is currently without a club after parting ways with Indonesian side Persib Bandung.
According to the Sun, 35 year old is now on the lookout for a new club with latest reports indicating that he is likely to join Bali United before the start of the season.
Essien, who in March 2017 took his career to Indonesia, joining Persib Bandung on a one-year contract with an option to extend it by a further year, scored five goals in 29 matches for the club last season.
The President of the club said they had signed too many foreign players and in order to comply with the league policy, the club had to let go of one of their players.
“[Michael] Essien was not among the players we launched because we wanted to fulfil the PSSI regulation of four foreign players in a team," The President of the club, Zainuri Hasyim told the media.
Chelsea bought Essien from Lyon in 2005 for £24million before he went on to play for AC Milan and Panathinaikos.
He won the Champions League, two Premier League titles, four FA Cups and the League Cup during nine years at Stamford Bridge.
- Riots, looting spree and accidents taint French World Cup partyWorld Cup 2018 14 hours ago
- Two France fans die in Moscow during violent World Cup celebrationWorld Cup 2018 14 hours ago
- Manchester United set to sign Croatia starFootball 11 hours ago
- France 4 - 2 Croatia: Identity of World Cup pitch invaders REVEALEDWorld Cup 2018 1 day ago
- France beat Croatia to win 2018 Fifa World Cup in MoscowWorld Cup 2018 1 day ago
- PICTURES: Macron joins French stars in song and dance as emotional Kolinda consoles Croatian players World Cup 2018 7 hours ago
- Career change: Thierry Henry makes shock announcement World Cup 2018 49 minutes ago