Commonwealth Games: Sprint coaches decry exclusion from Club Games
Some sprint coaches have accused Athletics Kenya (AK) of shutting them out of the team to the 21st Commonwealth Games.
The competition will be held in Gold Coast, Australia, from April 4-15.
The team, which comprises seasoned athletes and newcomers, will report to camp on March 2. The venue is yet to be decided considering Kasarani Stadium is under renovation.
The sprint coaches have appealed to AK to reconsider their decision and pick a trainer to guide the 14 sprinters in the team.
Sprinting is a more dynamic event that needs finer points and technique for the 100m, 200m, 400m hurdles with practice drills, training sessions, technical advice and strength training, according to a sprint coach who declined to be named for fear of victimisation.
“We have coaches who have three to four sprinters in the team, but were not considered. This makes us wonder about AK’s selection,” said the dejected sprint coach.
On Saturday, AK named 56 track and field athletes at Kasarani Stadium for the Commonwealth Games.
But Paul Mutwii, the AK senior Vice President in charge of competitions, dismissed the claims, saying the coaches are competent in all areas.
“We have selected coaches who are competent in all areas from hurdles, short races, middle distance, long distance and marathon. They are trained in all areas. We have a quota and we can only work with the number allocated to us by the National Olympics Committee,” said Mutwii.
He added: “At the same time, we have already identified non-travelling coaches who will help the team during their residential training.
AK has also selected four field events athletes led by Commonwealth Games javelin champion Julius Yego and one decathlon Gilbert Koech, but they do not have a coach.
Japhet Kemei has been named team head coach while Julius Kirwa, William Murgor and Joseph Kirwa will handle marathoners, all of them long distance coaches. [Dennis Okeyo]
- Blow for Liverpool as star is ruled out before crucial Manchester United clashFootball 17 hours ago
- Footballer killed by lightning during goal celebration Football 1 day ago
- Kenya give Ethiopia rude welcomeFootball 2 days ago
- Wenger puts PSG under pressure and he makes final January 1st demandFootball 4 weeks ago
- Eden Hazard has spoken about leaving ChelseaFootball 1 day ago
- Kisumu All Stars eye first win at Moi StadiumFootball 15 hours ago
- Uhuru sends powerful message to Harambee Stars after qualifying for AFCONFootball 1 week ago