Emmanuel Adebayor reveals how he was driven to suicidal thoughts
Former Premier League striker Emmanuel Adebayor has told how his own family repeatedly drove him to the brink of suicide with demands for money.
The Togo international, who played for Arsenal, Manchester City and Tottenham, opened up about his torment after years of silence.
Now 33 and playing in Turkey for Istanbul Basaksehir, he said his 'manipulative' family only ever asked for money and were "opposed" to him.
Speaking to French magazine So Foot , Adebayor, who also had an ill-fated spell with Crystal Palace, discussed the effect of his family on his mental health.
He said: "I felt like killing myself so many times. I kept this to myself for years and years.
"I am disgusted that things reached this stage, but I feel relieved to have talked about it.
"My football career will be finished in three or four years. By contrast my family name will remain with me - together with these people.
"Things are hard to bear when you are working hard to lift your family our of poverty, but they are still opposed to you.
"I have always told my younger brothers that we have been manipulated by our families.
"I often change my phone number so that my family can't contact me.
"They call me, not to ask how I am, but to demand money. That was the case after I injured my hamstring while with Tottenham.
"They rang me while I was having a scan to ask me if I could pay a kid's school fees.
"At least ask me first how I am before you do this!"
- Kipyegon Bett charged with doping offenceAthletics 46 minutes ago
- Golf: Kenya launches Safari Tour series in preparation for the Kenya Open ChampionshipGolf 1 day ago
- “Please stay! Don't go ”- Mourinho tells two Manchester United starsPremier League 1 day ago
- Manchester United star set to pen mega deal and make him one of best paid ever Football 2 days ago
- Sergio Ramos attacks Cristiano RonaldoFootball 1 day ago
- Manchester United striker leaves club on season-long loanPremier League 3 days ago
- Arsenal manager Emery explains why they were beaten 2-0 by Manchester CityPremier League 3 days ago