Catalonia independence: Questions about the future of Barcelona FC
Barcelona could end up staying in La Liga - even if Catalonia gains independence.
Barca president Josep Maria Bartomeu has admitted the club will consider playing outside of Spain if Catalonia gains independence.
And his comments were backed up by La Liga chief Javier Tebas over the weekend, who conceded he could see the league going forward without the Nou Camp giants.
But as Sport reports, Barcelona's absence would have a detrimental effect on the economic viability of Spanish football.
Barca and Real Madrid currently dominate the TV audience for La Liga, both internationally and domestically.
Last season, the title rivals took 60 percent of the international audience and 46 percent in Spain - miles ahead of the rest of the clubs.
Not to mention the Clasico fixtures, which attract a global audience of around 650 million.
Should Barca leave the competition, La Liga would undoubtedly lose a large chunk of its attraction, affecting current deals with rights holders.
Alongside that, the LFP would be forced to renegotiate all of its current TV rights contracts with the rest of the division.
It comes after Arsene Wenger dismissed the chances of the Nou Camp giants entering the Premier League.
I hope Barcelona continue playing in Spain. It would break the geographical unity and common sense," he told beIN Sports.
"Why don't they invite Celtic or Rangers to the Premier League who are already part of Great Britain, that would have more sense than inviting Barcelona.
"On the other hand if the politics between Spain and Catalonia don't go well it would signify support from England for Catalonia and that would not be welcomed internationally."
- Two France fans die in Moscow during violent World Cup celebrationWorld Cup 2018 6 hours ago
- Manchester United set to sign Croatia starFootball 3 hours ago
- France 4 - 2 Croatia: Identity of World Cup pitch invaders REVEALEDWorld Cup 2018 19 hours ago
- Football legends join Dalic in condemning referee decisions in World Cup finalWorld Cup 2018 4 hours ago
- France beat Croatia to win 2018 Fifa World Cup in MoscowWorld Cup 2018 20 hours ago
- Cristiano Ronaldo 'wanted to go elsewhere' but had to settle for Juventus Football 3 hours ago
- France vs Croatia lineups as Fans arrive ahead of World Cup Final World Cup 2018 22 hours ago