School games: Muhuri Muchiri and Laiser Hill crowned rugby champions in Uganda
Kisumu Day emerge East Africa’s best in boys hockey.
Muhuri Muchiri, Laiser Hill and Kisumu Day yesterday won Kenya three titles on the penultimate day of this year’s Brookside East Africa Secondary School games in Gulu, Uganda.
Muhuri Muchiri were the surprise package at the championships as they overcame opponents to win the rugby 7s title on their first attempt.
Laiser Hill Academy hammered homeboys St Mary’s Kisubi 64-0 in the last round robin match played at Comboni Vocational Institute to reclaim the rugby 15s title.
Muhuri Muchiri crowned their first ever East Africa outing successfully with a 14-7 victory over Uganda’s Jinja Secondary School in the finals at the same venue.
Kisumu Day ended Kenya’s day on a high with another title following the 1-0 win over Uganda’s Ntare School to ensure the hockey trophy returned to Kenya in a decisive match played at St Joseph’s College Layibi grounds.
Laiser Hill’s resounding victory put them on top of the table with 28 points while last year’s winners Kakamega were reduced to second best with 21 points. Upper Hill completed Kenya’s clean medal sweep with bronze.
Laiser Hill captain Christopher Asira was elated after the success attributing the win to hardwork and strong conditioning.
“This is not just a win for us, but gold for Kenya and we are glad we have achieved it. Our success is due to good preparations and the brilliance of our coach,” Asira said.
Samuel Were starred for Laiser with five tries and one conversion, fly-half Johnstone Olindi also made two tries and converted once.
William Difu, Donald Wandago and Franklin Odongo touched down once with Kevin Kerore converting twice.
Laiser Hill were home and dry by halftime after taking a 52-0 lead.
Despite enjoying home support the Ugandans failed to impress as the Kenyans battered.
Kevin Agwambo and Martin Mutiso scored tries for Muchiri with Harmony Wamalwa kicking twice to hand the side the gong.
Muchiri had beaten Kololo 15-12 in the cup semis.
- Ramos sends message to Salah after challenge in UCL finalFootball 10 hours ago
- Eliud Kipchoge eight step recipe to success: Kipchoge has studied famous philosophers Aristotle and PlatoAthletics 22 hours ago
- Big shots in chase for league titleHockey 1 day ago
- Trump pardons late black boxing champion Jack Johnson jailed for dating white womanBoxing 1 day ago
- How Champions League pitch invader ruined Cristiano Ronaldo’s hopesFootball 51 minutes ago
- 'Passion, belief and discipline': He is an avid reader and motivational speaker on investmentAthletics 22 hours ago
- Champions League final line-ups: Real Madrid vs Liverpool at 9:45pm on KTN HomeFootball 1 day ago