Cristiano Ronaldo banned for five matches after pushing referee Ricardo De Burgos Bengoetxea

Cristiano Ronaldo was shown a red card after receiving a second yellow card for simulation. Photograph: Juan Medina/Reuters
  • Ronaldo banned for five matches following his ref push
  • Real Madrid star saw red for allegedly diving during 3-1 win over Barcelona
  • Ronaldo came off the substitutes bench for Real in the 57th minute with his side drawing 1-1

Cristiano Ronaldo was hit with a five-match ban by the Spanish football federation (RFEF) on Monday for pushing the referee after being sent-off in Real Madrid's 3-1 Spanish Super Cup, first leg win over Barcelona.

The World Player of the Year received an automatic one-match ban for his dismissal on Sunday and an extra four games for his reaction towards referee Ricardo de Burgos Bengoetxea.

Ronaldo was also fined 3,805 euros ($4,500) and has 10 days to appeal the ban.

Should any appeal fail, Ronaldo will miss Wednesday's Super Cup, second leg and Madrid's first four La Liga games of the season against Deportivo la Coruna, Valencia, Levante and Real Sociedad.

Madrid had already signalled their intent to appeal Ronaldo's second yellow card shown for diving eight minutes from time when he went down inside the area under pressure from Samuel Umtiti.

"Ronaldo's sending-off annoys me because even if it is not a penalty, the card is harsh," said Madrid boss Zinedine Zidane after the game.

"We will see if we can do something so that he is available on Wednesday."

Ronaldo was only on the field for 24 minutes as he was introduced as a second-half substitute and fired into the top corner 10 minutes from time to give Madrid a 2-1 lead.

He received his first yellow card for removing his shirt in celebration before being shown the 10th red card of his career two minutes later.

"Once shown the red card, said player (Ronaldo) pushed me lightly as a sign of his disapproval," de Burgos Bengoetxea wrote in his referee's report.

According to the RFEF's rules, such offences are met with a suspension of anything between four and 12 games, but previous cases also resulted in four-game bans.

Next Story
LATEST STORIES
Ronaldo, Messi and Neymar on FIFA player of the year shortlist

Cristiano Ronaldo, Lionel Messi and Neymar have been nominated as finalists for the Best FIFA Men’s Player award, the sport’s governing body said on Friday.

Wolfsburg earn comeback draw at Bayern to snap losing run

VfL Wolfsburg battled back from two goals down to snatch a 2-2 draw at Bayern Munich on Friday thanks to Daniel Didavi’s late equaliser that ended their 19-match losing run in Munich.

Manchester United squad revealed for Premier League trip to Southampton

Manchester United squad revealed for Premier League trip to Southampton

Why Ronaldinho's transfer to Manchester United broke down in 2003

Joan Laporta, the Spanish politician and former president of Barcelona, has revealed why Manchester United's move for Ronaldinho never materialised.

Antonio Conte thanks departing Costa for Chelsea success

Chelsea manager Antonio Conte thanked Diego Costa on Friday for his contribution at Stamford Bridge, after the club agreed a move for the striker with Atletico Madrid.

Athletics: Fans set to watch World Marathon record chase in Eldoret

With the world’s focus on tomorrow’s potentially record-breaking BMW Berlin Marathon, Bank of Africa’s (BOA) World Marathon Majors viewing party shifts to Eldoret where hundreds of fans will follow the live race at the Klique Hotel.

More Stories
Ronaldo, Messi and Neymar on FIFA player of the year shortlist

Cristiano Ronaldo, Lionel Messi and Neymar have been nominated as finalists for the Best FIFA Men’s Player award, the sport’s governing body said on Friday.

Wolfsburg earn comeback draw at Bayern to snap losing run

VfL Wolfsburg battled back from two goals down to snatch a 2-2 draw at Bayern Munich on Friday thanks to Daniel Didavi’s late equaliser that ended their 19-match losing run in Munich.

Manchester United squad revealed for Premier League trip to Southampton

Manchester United squad revealed for Premier League trip to Southampton

Antonio Conte thanks departing Costa for Chelsea success

Chelsea manager Antonio Conte thanked Diego Costa on Friday for his contribution at Stamford Bridge, after the club agreed a move for the striker with Atletico Madrid.

Women League: Falcons eye revenge over Palos

Zone B side Eldoret Falcons’ coach Jeff Mutai says his side will be on a revenge mission when they entertain Palos Women in a Football Kenya Federation Women Premier League fixture at Kipchoge Keino Stadium tomorrow.

Zoo and Nakumatt kicked out of KPL: High Court says league should have only 16 teams

The Kenyan Premier League have suspended Zoo Kericho and Nakumatt from the competition with immediate effect.

GOtv Shield: AFC Leopards eye victory over Vihiga United

AFC Leopards’ only hope for silverware this season remains the GOtv Shield and the team will be hoping to edge out Vihiga United in the second semi-final match tomorrow.

Chelsea midfielder Tiemoue Bakayoko suffers minor injuries in a car crash

Chelsea midfielder Tiemoue Bakayoko is recovering after being involved in a "minor" car accident outside the club's Cobham training ground.

Wenger explains why Sanchez still is not starting for Gunners in EPL

Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger has rejected the notion that he sent a message to Alexis Sanchez by starting him versus Doncaster in the Carabao Cup but not against Chelsea in the Premier League.

Conte thanks departing Costa for Chelsea success

Chelsea manager Antonio Conte thanked Diego Costa on Friday for his contribution at Stamford Bridge, after the club agreed a move for the striker with Atletico Madrid.