CAF says Kenya will have to show it is ready by August 20

CAF From Left- FkF President Nick Mwendwa, Constant Selemani Omari CAF 2nd Vice President, Kaberia Kirimi PS Ministry of Sports Culture and the Arts (MOSCA0 and Dr Hassan Wario Cabinet Secretary MOSCA at Kasarani Stadium during media briefing ahead of CHAN event to be held in Kenya early next year. Thursday, June 17. 2017. [PHOTO: JONAH ONYANGO/STANDARD]

Kenya has an August 20 deadline to show it will be ready to host next year’s Africa Nations Championships (Chan).

The development came as it emerged that Ivory Coast have declared interest in hosting the event should Kenya not beat the deadline.

Speaking during a media briefing yesterday, Confederation of African Football (CAF) second vice president Seleman Omari said they have given their report to the Government on what needs to be done and hope it can be done by August 20.

“We have been here with my team to see how prepared Kenya are for this tournament. At the end of our inspection, we have given our report to the Government and will come back on August 20 to see the progress,” he said.

Omari however insisted that the tournament is still Kenya’s to host, but was categorical that CAF has to have an alternative venue should the country not be ready to host the January 2018 event.

The CAF delegation has been in Kenya for the last one week and visited all five venues designated to host the tournament. Apart from Kinoru in Meru County and Kasarani, work still needs to be done on the other three venues: Kipchoge in Eldoret, Kenyatta Stadium in Machakos and Nyayo Stadium.

Sports Cabinet Secretary Hassan Wario gave an assurance that the Government will do everything to ensure Kenya is ready to host the event.

He insisted that a lot had been done in the background towards hosting a successful tournament even as he admitted that more needs to be done.

“The truth is that we have a lot to do, but we have been working hard to put everything in motion and now we are ready to move on with the required work. There is goodwill about Kenya hosting this tournament from the highest level of Government,” he said.

He said the Government has already advertised for tenders to upgrade the targeted facilities.

At Nyayo Stadium, the chosen contractor will carry out civil and building works including fixing seats, cabling, plumbing as well as working on the drainage and mechanical installations among others.

Other works at the stadium include bore hole drilling, equipping high and low level water tanks as well as water reticulation and irrigation system.

At Kinoru Stadium which the Meru county government has spent more than Sh300million to build, new seats will be fixed.

The same will also be done at Machakos and Kipchoge Keino. Not much will be done at Kasarani  and only the stadium hotel will be refurbished.

All the contracts are supposed to be given out by July 1 and the winners will have just three months to finish the work.

Next Story
LATEST STORIES
Kenyan star awarded medal after drug cheat netted

It’s strange how a misfortune can turn into a fortune. She left the iconic Birds Nest Stadium in Beijing nine years ago crestfallen – after finishing outside the medal bracket at the 2008 Beijing Olympic Games.

Kenyans are expected to bag Diamond League prizes

A big show is expected when Kenyans will get down to the thrill of the night battle for the IAAF Diamond League payout at Letzigrund Stadium in Zurich, Switzerland.

Sofapaka keep title hopes alive

Sofapaka kept their Kenyan Premier League title hopes alive after trouncing visiting Nzoia Sugar 3-1 in yesterday’s thrilling match at Kasarani Stadium.

Semenya under the spotlight

South African Olympic champion Semenya granted a rare interview to South Africa’s SuperSport TV channel this month expressing her frustration at continually having her gender questioned.

Final Ronaldo appeal against 5-game ban rejected

Cristiano Ronaldo's final route of appeal against his five-match ban for pushing a referee after being sent off in the Spanish Super Cup was rejected by Spain's administrative sports court (TAD) on Tuesday.

Griezmann handed two-game ban for ref insult

France international forward Antoine Griezmann was handed a two-game ban by the Spanish Football Federation on Wednesday after he was sent off at the weekend for insulting the referee.

More Stories
Sofapaka keep title hopes alive

Sofapaka kept their Kenyan Premier League title hopes alive after trouncing visiting Nzoia Sugar 3-1 in yesterday’s thrilling match at Kasarani Stadium.

Final Ronaldo appeal against 5-game ban rejected

Cristiano Ronaldo's final route of appeal against his five-match ban for pushing a referee after being sent off in the Spanish Super Cup was rejected by Spain's administrative sports court (TAD) on Tuesday.

Griezmann handed two-game ban for ref insult

France international forward Antoine Griezmann was handed a two-game ban by the Spanish Football Federation on Wednesday after he was sent off at the weekend for insulting the referee.

Wayne Rooney retires from international football as England's all-time leading goalscorer

Wayne Rooney has retired from international football - despite Gareth Southgate wanting him back in the England squad.

Goalkeeper Arnold Origi ditches Harambee Stars for Norway

Harambee Stars goalkeeper Arnold Origi has officially acquired Norwegian citizenship.

Romelu Lukaku account 'hacked as Man United star trolls Cristiano Ronaldo'

Images have circled showing the Manchester United star's page completely taken over. The striker's display picture changed and approximately 15 pictures were uploaded for 'epmuusic'.

Champions League draw: Man United, City, Chelsea and Spurs to find out group stage fate

This season will see the return of Chelsea and Manchester United to the Champions League.

Education and sports: Mixing the two to produce desired results

University show opponents how to achieve success in and out of the classroom.

Women football: Cecafa edition set for Rwanda in November

The third edition of Cecafa Women Championship will be held in Rwanda in November. This decision was made after a meeting held by the regional football body bosses yesterday in Nairobi.