KPL: Leopards, Mathare draw at Nyayo Stadium, Chemeli beat Nzoia Sugar 2-1 as Thika United and Posta Rangers draw 2-2
AFC Leopards and Mathare United shared the spoils in an exciting Kenyan Premier League (KPL) match at Nyayo Stadium on Saturday.
With both teams coming back into the league after a three-week break, the match was unsurprisingly slow from the start.
Leopards had the first chance at Mathare goal, but Vincent Oburu’s effort went wide.
Then hard-working Oburu was denied by Wycliffe Kasaya in the 12th minute.
Kasaya did well to push the ball beyond Oburu who had done all the donkey work.
The Mathare United goalkeeper was forced to make another save almost immediately this time denying Gilbert Fiamenyo.
The Slum Boys took time to settle in the first half and when they did, it was Chrispinus Oduor who had the first shot on goal but he was denied by a hawk-eyed Leopards’ goalkeeper Ian Otieno.
The Slum Boys made the first substitution at the beginning of the second half resting Kasaya for Levis Opiyo something that did not seem to go down well with the veteran goalkeeper.
But Mathare coach said he was replaced after suffering an injury.
The rest of the half was punctuated with a number of missed chances making the barren draw a fair result.
However, Mathare United will feel unlucky not to get a penalty in the 82nd minute when Edwin Mwaura was fouled in the box, but the centre referee Duncan Ogosi did not deem it a foul.
“We are happy with the result considering that we have just come from a long break. In that situation you cannot expect an explosive match.
“However, I still think we should have got something from this fixture had we used our chances well,” Mathare United coach Francis Kimanzi said. AFC Leopards coach, Dorin Marin was, however, unhappy insisting that they could have done better.
In Chemeli, the hosts beat Nzoia Sugar 2-1.
Nzoia scored first through Masita Masuta in the 18th minute but goals from John Mwita and Victor Majid ensured the home team kept all three points.
At Thika Municipal Stadium, visiting Posta Rangers drew 2-2 with Thika United. Thika scored through Sammy Kibwana with Kennedy Otieno and John Nairuka levelling.
- Aguero blast Argentina boss Sampaoli after Croatia defeatWorld Cup 2018 14 hours ago
- Cristiano Ronaldo: Why I am growing a beard this World Cup seasonWorld Cup 2018 1 day ago
- Fans shocked by what Messi did in Argentina's defeat by Croatia in World CupWorld Cup 2018 14 hours ago
- Death threats sent to Colombian midfielder Sanchez after he was red carded World Cup 2018 12 hours ago
- Messi and Aguero to retire from international football if Argentina flop out of World CupWorld Cup 2018 8 hours ago
- Senegal defender confirms Sarri’s move to ChelseaWorld Cup 2018 12 hours ago
- Sterling reveals the incredible story behind why he turned down ArsenalFootball 7 hours ago