Rugby: Kenyans take valuable lessons from Test Cup defeat
Germans leave Simbas' den unscathed
Kenya Simbas' coach Jerome Paarwater believes the national 15s rugby team will qualify for the 2019 World Cup in Japan despite suffering a 30-29 defeat to visiting Germany in an international test match at the RFUEA Grounds at the weekend.
This was Simbas' first home defeat in four years. Although the South African was disappointed after losing his first home match since 2013, he was happy with the performance of his youthful side.
Newcomers Philip Ikambili, Oscar Simiyu, George Nyambua and Leo Seje Owade made full test debuts.
For most of the Saturday play, Kenya was the dominant side only for Chris Hilsenbeck to snatch away the win with a last gasp drop goal.
However, Paarwater believes his players have learnt some valuable lessons ahead of June 10 Elgon Cup first leg match against Uganda in Kampala.
"We have a lot of new guys coming in the team as we work towards next year's World Cup qualifiers. We need to have enough depth in the squad. I think they will learn by playing quality matches like this," Paarwater told The Standard Sports.
"Yes, the new players stood up to the occasion and I am happy with what I have seen, but we have noticed where to improve ahead of the Uganda match. We just need to put more efforts on our set-pieces."
"Playing against players who were heavier than us wasn't a joke. But I am proud of my defence as it managed to contain the Germans when they mauled or scrummed us."
On his first home defeat, Paarwater said: "It was tough lack. It is my first time, I am losing a game at Ngong Road. It's not good, but we have taken some positive lessons from it."
- BASKETBALL: Kenya defend boys’ under-18 Africa Zone Five titleBasketball 11 hours ago
- Man United and Man City to battle for PSG superstarWorld Cup 2018 2 hours ago
- Messi’s diehard fan commits suicide after Argentina shockerSports 51 minutes ago
- Sportpesa finally unveils the identity of 31milion mega jackpot winnerWorld Cup 2018 4 days ago
- Rhodri Giggs takes shot at brother Ryan Giggs over Manchester bar closureGossip & Rumours 1 day ago
- Petit points out main difference between Ronaldo and Messi in the World CupWorld Cup 2018 1 day ago
- Shujaa players boycott training ahead of Rugby World CupRugby 2 days ago