Stage set for World Youth champs
The 2017 IAAF World Under-18 championships' Local Organising Committee (LOC) is optimistic the biennial event, which will be held in July 12-16 in Nairobi, will be a success.
The 10th edition of the global track and field championships to be held at Kasarani Stadium, will see more than 2,000 athletes and officials from 165 countries converge for the event.
LOC's Director of Media and Broadcast, Chris Mutungi, confirmed that preparations are underway to upgrade various sports facilities, which will be used in the global event.
Addressing a media workshop in Mombasa, Mutungi said the committee will set up training camps for athletes in various parts of the country, including Taita Taveta, as they prepare for the event.
"This being an international event, it requires us as the hosts, we need to ensure there is adequate security for all. This will be a great success for our country and therefore, the government and the committee will ensure everything is done well all through" said Mutungi.
He challenged the media to promote the event.
- Why Real Madrid defender Marcelo chopped away the net after Champions League winFootball 8 hours ago
- HOCKEY: Telkom beat woeful VikingsHockey 1 day ago
- SportPesa Premier League: Nakumatt continue resurgence, Sharks silence BandariFootball 9 hours ago
- Athletics: Cheruiyot victorious in Bowerman Mile raceAthletics 2 hours ago
- PHOTOS: Gor Mahia takes on Hull City at Kasarani StadiumFootball 2 weeks ago
- Photos of Faith Kipyegon’s Baby shower emerge on social mediaGossip & Rumours 5 hours ago
- Mo Salah gives MASSIVE WORLD CUP UPDATE after shoulder injuryFootball 4 hours ago