OLYMPICS: IOC gets tough with Tokyo 2020 golf venue
The International Olympic Committee (IOC) yesterday issued a sharp warning to the private club set to host golf at the 2020 Tokyo Games: admit women or you’re out.
On a visit to Tokyo to check on the city’s Olympic preparations, IOC vice president John Coates said the Kasumigaseki Country Club in Saitama prefecture was running out of time to change its policy of refusing to grant full membership to women.
“Our principles are based on non-discrimination, that’s the position we’ve made quite clear,” Coates, chairman of the co-ordination commission that oversees preparations for the Olympics, told reporters.
- Golf: Veteran defeats 136 golfers in annual tournament in MombasaGolf 5 hours ago
- All smiles as Kenya breaks winless jinx: Captain Change hails Simbas' fighting spirit, urges teammate to remain focusedRugby 5 hours ago
- Xhaka and Shaqiri facing possible bans as FIFA probes controversial celebrationsWorld Cup 2018 16 hours ago
- Messi’s diehard fan commits suicide after Argentina shockerWorld Cup 2018 17 hours ago
- England lineup against Panama leaked, Southgate brings Chelsea youngstarWorld Cup 2018 18 hours ago
- Boxing: Police win first national leg Boxing 5 hours ago
- Kenya Simbas ready to attack after Sh53m dealRugby 4 days ago